588,018 active members*
8,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 19 5678917

Re: Emco Turn 220 P

zmajmr

What you did with the motor shield should be ok, you need to do the same at the other end as will this is only for the motor cable, your extra wire may be also a problem as it will have EMI coming from it, so cut there tails off, as you have them they are an antenna, cut them off behind the shield, here is some shield clamps to give you an idea of what you can do for other shielded wires, your wires are a mess, so will pick up any noise

These are EMI Shield Clamps, they are from ICOTEK they have many other different types as well, they are also world wide so should not be a problem for you to get something from them, when you open there web site, there is a little flag in the right hand corner, you can select the country nearest to you from there

icotek - Kabeldurchführung | Zugentlastung | EMV Abschirmung
    Mactec54

Thanks for help, yes wires look like mess now, I am not done with cabinet, I fastened components on plywood just to see where what needs to be , need to install few sensors, some safety and when all will work will drill holes in metal plate from cabinet and make look it nice.

I have question, does between part A and part B on picture need to be felt, when I removed there was not felt, on other side, oposite and in z axis direction on both side there is felt ,is so I just want to check because there were missing some o rings on other parts and sealing parts for which I did not know, so I rather ask now because I am not sure, thx?

Hi folks, I think that my motion controller card does not support cutting threads (before year or so I manage to get RPM readings from spindle and I believed or assumed that OK, machine will cut threads with no problems, I was little confused when I manage to get true spindle RPM from reading original Emco tachometer disc that has 150 slots , I read in manual from Mach3 that is enough only 1 slot but it needs to be of minimal width. Anyway, how I installed 2 home switches before few days I stumbled in Ports and Pin menu on Index input and then bulb went On, for what I need that input, for cutting threads and I did not connected nothing to that input, I connected my spindle sensor on S+ and S- input (motion controller comes with plug in where you can adjust how many slots your disc have), so when I am using those inputs (S+ and S-) I can read RPM with no problems , only thing is that when I look in diagnostic specific for Index input (which is used for synchronization while machine need to cut threads) I never got activation of that input so I concluded maybe I need to disconnect my sensor from S+ S- on Index input and I will get sensing of my Index position and will get true RPM but on another way, and I did get that Index activates and deactivates but I also lost RPM data (I surfed on net and saw that users had similar problems but, they did not enabled Index input or thy did not activate spindle, some trivial problems; I tried all that and no luck). Later I went to see what is the problem and all that I found that few users of motion controller card like mine have same problem but nobody said here is solution, because probably it does not exist.

I have idea (last one which I still did not try) too try to connect spindle RPM sensor parallel to Index input and S+ S- input and maybe I get smoke or maybe will happen nothing or maybe it will work. Other strange thing is that I did not manage to see nobody else that is using this motion controller card to control CNC lathe, maybe that tells something. I can say that I manage to control with card all actuators expect lubrication pump for which I only needed 1 additional output and my plan was to solve that with cheap Siemens LOGO RCL (second hand) , so card is apparently perfect for CNC mill, not CNC lathe unless I am doing something wrong.
    If anyone have idea for some motion controller that can do all what this one can, plus it can cuts threads and I can use it with my laptop which have no parallel port let me know.

I thought I am so close to end of retrofit

Hi,
    i would recommend to change the way like tormach did , have a look into linuxcnc and if you like machine kit
    I use my lathe with an normal ITX board (not expensive ) and i also tried NCBOX 186 which is also ok. Maybe the Beaglebone Black (35 Euro ) is sufficient for your needs
    I use also gmoccapy and touchscreen it works rocksolid so if you go that route i can help
    thomas

Hi Thomas, thing is that I bought license for Mach3 plus I bought license for Partmaster lathe that should work with Mach3 (still waiting for support to fix damn post processor), I like Mach3 (I made macro for tool changer , tail stock, power chuck, so basically I like Mach3) so will stick to Mach3. I am just looking now CS lab site and they have what I need only thing it it cost money. I also found on ebay motion controller card (newer version of one that I have right now) and they say something about Index input but there it is not explicit written that it supports cutting threads (my card have input S+ and S- ) and you can use them to measure RPM of your spindle but as I conclude that is not enough to cut threads because Index input is not active in that way.

Here is that chines card, now when I have some experience with Mach3 and work connected with retrofitting and when I saw different comments on forums I have some doubt will it work (will cut threads).

4 Axis USB Mach3 Card CNC Stepper Controller Breakout Interface Board 200kHz | eBay

Under description it say:

Spindle speed feed back port-INDEX

It can mean you can get RPM data but does not need to mean you can cut threads with lathe just my thinking.
    If somebody have opinion on this card I would like to hear it.

roger that ,..

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I had same issues on my mill
    i don't know about your electronics i stay away from windows but ,..
    maybe an proper encoder will help your situation

Look at Product Search | CUI Inc
    i use the 102 103 stuff at my retrofit for the old servos like http://www.tkamsker.at:8080/web/pub/...-achsenantrieb
    doing that you would reduce the unknown about index and the 100 holes of emco
    just 27 euro ,..
    then you can concentrate on where in your software electronics chain the problem is ,..
    i prepared same on my lathe for threading i tested the whole stuff on my mill spindle (i needed it for spindle orientation and rigid tapping ) as soon i have time (right now i need the lathe )
    i ll put that on the main spindle of the lathe ,..

- - - Updated - - -

I had same issues on my mill
    i don't know about your electronics i stay away from windows but ,..
    maybe an proper encoder will help your situation

Look at http://www.cui.com/products/product/searchbypartialmatch?partnumber=102
    i use the 102 103 stuff at my retrofit for the old servos like http://www.tkamsker.at:8080/web/pub/analyse-achsenantrieb
    doing that you would reduce the unknown about index and the 100 holes of emco
    just 27 euro ,..
    then you can concentrate on where in your software electronics chain the problem is ,..
    i prepared same on my lathe for threading i tested the whole stuff on my mill spindle (i needed it for spindle orientation and rigid tapping ) as soon i have time (right now i need the lathe )
    i ll put that on the main spindle of the lathe ,..

I appreciate will to help but I just bought wrong motion controller (it is perfect for DIY CNC milling machine but not enough for CNC lathe) . Thing is that my controller simulates parallel port which is widely used with Mach 3 (so maker of card should made something in card to support threading, it only made that you can get RPM data (spindle RPM) but did not made that Index impulse is synchronized with movement of Z axis ), I am just trying to describe best as I can from all that I read in last day or so.

I need this
    CSMIO/IP-S - 6 axis Ethernet Motion Controller (STEP/DIR) with connectors - CS-Lab CNC controllers CNC Machining CNC software

plus this

CSMIO-ENC threading module - CS-Lab CNC controllers CNC Machining CNC software

plus this

Incremental rotary encoder - differential signal, TTL 5V :: 2500 p/rev :: IHU4808 - CS-Lab CNC controllers CNC Machining CNC software

to be able to use Mach3 Turn and to cut threads (to make CNC lathe).

Other thing is that above configuration support G32 (threading) but does not support G76 function (guy from support told me, nice from him) (it is connected with making threads) so I went to my CAM software (with grains of sweat on my forehead) and i discovered that CAM produces only G32 g code lines so I will be OK if I choose above electronics. I just wanted to tell that apparently it is not so easy to make hardware that supports cutting threads, and my card that I have right now costed 150 $ before 3 years so probably I can not expect to do all what much expensive systems can.

For now this electronics seams to be my choice , reason is it is inside EU (less shipping cost, fees customs ), supports cutting threads, works with Mach3, interface for connecting wire looks good manual looks good, downside is it have 3 axes more then I need and it has too much inputs and outputs, weaker version have 4 axis but do not support module for cutting threads.

Main thing is that lathe cut threads like it is mechanical synchronization

Really interested what your experience with CSMIO is going to be. I want to use it on an EMCO turn 120 retrofit.

Quote Originally Posted by Debos View Post
    Really interested what your experience with CSMIO is going to be. I want to use it on an EMCO turn 120 retrofit.
    Hi

I think I will be happy (I would be happier that it is cheaper but what can you do , probably there exist cheaper solutions but I did not manage to find that it works with Mach 3 and that it support cutting threads like professional machine).

I manage to find this videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-KlHFYxzkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKp343Ubf7U

Now I am waiting package to come to me and I will start all over again with electronics.

Old electronics would be perfect as it is only if threading would be supported and it had 1 more output on card ( I manage to solve that 1 output with PLC but fact that I can not cut threads is big MINUS that I can not solve).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddrP5FbXSF4

Here I got (bought) new equipment, I manage to sell before 5 or 4 months original Emco electronics (all cards and boards except one stepper drive for which I know for sure that is broken, only from pictures that I posted is left block with big transformer and I have 2 original stepper motors, also monitor is sold ).

Rotary encoder I found on Aliexpress for 20 to 40 $ after when I saw what I get, before I put order for equipment I surfed on ebay for rotary encoders and it looked like pretty expensive equipment, could not find anything that cost less then what I paid now (probably much better quality of mechanical components). Also I wanted to buy much equipment from CS Lab from once (I thought maybe I manage to get discount, I read on website that they can give you good deal , but it is true if you buy more from same components, so I crossed MPG pendant from my list because when I pay VAT it cost 300 Euro, so will try to find cheap deal because that for 300 Euro is also made in China or Taiwan, only MPG cost 16 $ on ebay so I doubt there is some difference between components in that for 300 Euro and that part for 16$).
    For now I am reading manual because I do not want to burn something, for now from what I read this controller should be much more resistant on interferences and in manual there is explained how different types of drives should be connected, I was asking my self all the time in back of my mind why my stepper drive have DIR + and DIR - and why it have PUL + and PUL - inputs and I connected how I did and all worked, here is little bit different and you need to be careful not to paste same logic otherwise you can destroy your expensive equipment, I recommend to anybody who have doubts how to properly shield cables or connect them to motion controller to take a peek on CS Lab manuals. I tried to execute some of techniques for connecting VFD cables but like we concluded here you need to follow rules from VFD manual for that, ground both side of shield.

Stay tuned

Page 7 of 19 5678917