587,193 active members*
3,278 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

machine position

I have a fanuc OM controller, and the problem I have with is that the machine positions are in metric. Right now I home the machine and set the relative position to 0, then use those numbers to set my work coordinates. There has to be some way to change the machine positions to inches. Can anybody tell me which 0 I have to turn into a 1 or vise versa to get it to change. thanks for any help

If you hit Para/Diag button to get Parameter screen you should be able to page up/down to find the following

PWE
    TV
    INCH/MM
    MIRROR IMG
    ECT, ECT.
    CHANGE INCH/MM TO OPPOSITE OF WHAT IT IS.

Its been a couple years since i have got to mess with Om control but I believe that is correct.

bob

Thak you for the help, but I just tried that and it did the opposite of what I was trying to acoplish. It made all the positions metric.

Quote Originally Posted by smoa1980
    Thak you for the help, but I just tried that and it did the opposite of what I was trying to acoplish. It made all the positions metric.
    So your looking to have some display in inches and others metric? I thought you would only have two choices, Metric or Inches. Maybe im missing something.

As it is now the machine positions are metric. The actual, relative, and distance to go are in inch. That is what is frustrating, I have to home my machine and zero my realtive numbers to get machine numbers in inch for my fixture offset. When i switched the number that you suggested it turned all my positions to metric.

If it's anything like a 16-21M or a 31M (which I know its not) then there's a machine parameter that controls it. I just went through this on a 31M. The Abs, Rel, Distance to go, etc, etc were all in inches. The Machine position however, was in Metric, which also made the work offsets in metric. So, it made it real strange when running an "inch" program through all of this. I can't tell which parameter it was until next week (which probably wouldn't help you anyway on an OM control) but I'm just stating that you may have a parameter mis-set.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Isn't there a gcode you can include in your program to switch inch or metric? This should be modal for as long as the machine is on. There may be a setting that causes this to load the metric gcode as the default mode.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by smoa1980
    As it is now the machine positions are metric. The actual, relative, and distance to go are in inch. That is what is frustrating, I have to home my machine and zero my realtive numbers to get machine numbers in inch for my fixture offset. When i switched the number that you suggested it turned all my positions to metric.
    Thanks for the info, I was not aware that this was possible. I will be curious to see the fix so I can put it into my notes. If it is a machine para you can change Im sure someone will have been thru it before.
    Bob

THere is a parameter to change this - I'll look it up in maintenance manual. In first 30 or so params if I remember

Hi,

On parameter 0001 bit zero, it should read swc. If so, a "1" equals inch and "0" equals metric. This might do the same thing that Bob already suggested, but I'm not sure. Good luck, hope this helps.

Actually correct parameter is 63.0 (farthest to right) should be a 1.
    Terry