588,069 active members*
4,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 4 234

Re: Bridgeport Clone CNC Z Axis. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    Possibly:

Induced noise from something.
    Ground all motor cases to the ground wire.

You can try it with a separate, testing only, wire from each motors case to gnd.
    This happens with some AC brushless servos (with differential signals, to csmio industrial controller).

Perfectly repeatable, and goes away immediately via grounding the case.
    This was the first thing I suggested, motor Grounding is important, these motors have a Ground wire attached inside the motor case, but he needs to check all his Grounds with a meter to make sure he has a good Ground contact, from the motor case to the end of his Ground wire
    Mactec54

I'll try and play with it tonight and see if I can come up with anything. Hopefully I can get it to go into e-stop and see if grounding solves the issue.

The 3 PH power for the spindle is coming from a phase converter. This is the one I have; http://www.wnysupply.com/index.cfm/f...id/0/id/336301
    Necessity is the mother of all invention (unknown)
    My club home page www.lhmac.org

I played with the mill for about 3 hours tonight and could not get the problem to present it's self. I was even running the program that caused it. I was cutting steel whereas I was using aluminum last time. Not sure if that matters. I'll have to see if the problem presents itself again. I will be cleaning up the wiring a little bit more as well. I'll report back if the issue shows up again.

Quote Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
    I played with the mill for about 3 hours tonight and could not get the problem to present it's self. I was even running the program that caused it. I was cutting steel whereas I was using aluminum last time. Not sure if that matters. I'll have to see if the problem presents itself again. I will be cleaning up the wiring a little bit more as well. I'll report back if the issue shows up again.
    I had a play today myself rigged up a Quill drive like yours with a 400w motor, has a 7:1 reduction so an overall ratio of 3.293 :1 works very well apart from some backlash, when up to 200 IPM, may try more just for fun, I will do a video when I get time

When you wired your servo motors to the servo Drives did you have the A B C on the wires matching the Drive, or are the wires colored
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I had a play today myself rigged up a Quill drive like yours with a 400w motor, has a 7:1 reduction so an overall ratio of 3.293 :1 works very well apart from some backlash, when up to 200 IPM, may try more just for fun, I will do a video when I get time

When you wired your servo motors to the servo Drives did you have the A B C on the wires matching the Drive, or are the wires colored
    I would love to see your setup.

The wires are all pre terminated at DMM They had me check the wiring as well. They are color coded

I would love to see your setup.

The wires are all pre terminated at DMM They had me check the wiring as well. They are color coded
    So what color do you have going to A B & C
    Mactec54

On the T1 connector. A= Blue, B=Red, C=Black. The green/yellow wire goes to common ground.

On the T1 connector. A= Blue, B=Red, C=Black. The green/yellow wire goes to common ground.
    Are now this will change everything A=Red B = Blue & C=Black this is the correct wiring

You have the motors wired incorrect, you have 2 of the phases switched, this will change the rotation when you correct this, so you will have to change the motor rotation in Mach3, this is also why you can't set the Gains up to where they need to be, your motors are running very inefficient, and uncontrollable, being very unstable, this is also why I could not figure, why you were getting an overtemp Fault, well this is the reason

You need to change this wiring and then you will see some power, if you don't change the wiring you will damage the motors
    Mactec54

That's how they came from DMM....
    Here is a Pic from when I started wiring them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.jpg  

Yes different motors have different colored wires, this looks different from anything I have seen, if your motors are the same spec's then you will be fine with what you have, but I have not seen this spec before
    Mactec54

I have checked what you have at the plug where it goes into the Drive this is correct, how long is this extension cable, and how is it connected to the motor

By what is in you video it looks like you have a plug joining the 2 cables, is this the standard Dmm connector
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I have checked what you have at the plug where it goes into the Drive this is correct, how long is this extension cable, and how is it connected to the motor

By what is in you video it looks like you have a plug joining the 2 cables, is this the standard Dmm connector

The cables are the standard 3M long that come with the kit.

I did not get to do anything with it last night. I may have some time today to experiment.

Because there were some doubts about using a Quill Pinion for a Z axes Drive, I decided to put it to the test, I already had a motor mount for a 400w servo motor

So decided to just mount it to a manual Jet mill, made 3 mounting holes in the aluminum plate to suit the the mill, made 2 spacers, and mounted everything up, it has a 400w Dmm Ac servo, 5:1 BaySide GearBox and a 2:1 from the Gearbox to the Quill Pinion, giving it a Total of 7:1, the pinion Gear that the mill has was larger than expected, that has a ratio of 1:3.707 The noise you hear in the video is from the GearBox

In Mac3 the units were Inches, steps per were set a 5984.486962 the Velocity 460 Acceleration 60

I don't recommend anyone use a Quill drive in this way, there are lots of Backlash that you can not adjust, the mills have very basic bushings for the Pinion Drive, they are just not designed to be used this way, so enjoy the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlmZLhw0f54
    Mactec54

Well, That's fast! I have mine set up at a max of 35ipm right now and that is plenty fast enough for what I am doing. You absolutely had no issues drilling like I did. Heck, I had a 750 watt servo but only 4:1 reduction, and could barely put a dent in A-36 steel (softer).

I will be running the mill this weekend and will see how things go.

Page 4 of 4 234