587,879 active members*
3,993 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NCStudio Question - Auto Tool Sensing

Hi, this is not one of those threads about how bad NCStudio is, I actually find it does the job extremely well & am happy with it & will keep using it.

What I am wanting to know is if anyone out there knows if my Weihong PCIMC 3G control card supports auto tool sensing, the machine is not set up for it but that was at the suggestion of the designer. I have googled madly & cannot find any info on this.

I have 4 spare connections on the breakout board & am wondering if that is what they are for.

If anyone has this card in their machine & it does support auto tool sensing I would be greatfull if you could let me know the pin configuration on the breakout board.

Cheers

Rob

Tool sensing connection

Hi Rob:
    I think it is PCIMC-3B not 3G.If it is 3B version, for auto tool sensing, you need connect wires to Pin1 and pin14, Pin1 is signal,while pin14 is GND,when the two pins short circuit, the system gets the signal of tool sensing.For sure you need set parameter on the PC for the auto tool sensing function.
    If it is 3G, i dont know, seldom heard about this version, maybe you can have a try.
    Good luck
    Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply, I wish it did say 3B then it would be easy but it does say 3G.

I have attached a couple of pics, one of the pci card & one of the breakout board showing the unused connections. Maybe this will show you what it is I have to work with.

Thanks, Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF4565.jpg   DSCF4558.jpg  

Hi Rob:
    thanks for the picture, yes, it is a 3G version not 3B version. For the breaking board, i saw CUT, i think it is the tool sensing terminal, and it is wired, so have you connected Cut and GND to a tool sensor?
    Anyhow, it is easy for a test, on you computer, open the software, and call the tool sensing function, then short circuit the cut and Gnd terminals, if the software gets the signal and stops, then it is the right one.
    Regards
    Alan

Hi Alan, many thanks for that - it worked.

I didn't think of using that pin as it was already wired at the breakout board, just not at the other end of the cable on the z axis. Connected a temporary lead to the CUT lead only, tried the sensing function, as soon as the CUT lead touches the tip of the tool it retracts & resets. I am now very happy.

Thanks for your help with this.

Rob

Hi Rob:
    It is nice that you made it work!
    you are completly right, it is easy to make the tool sensor work connecting one wire to the Z axis, but it is not good one, even sometimes it is dangrous. such as if the spindle's resistance is big enough then it wont work and it will destroy the bit tip. The right way is to connect a true tool sensor for it. One example picture.

Alan, you are correct, a tool sensor is the best option.

I am trying to find an affordable one but they don't don't seem to be too readily available so I will probably build one.

If you are able to recommend somewhere that I could find a tool sensor that would be apreciated.

Thanks

Rob

About the tool sensor

Hi Rob:
    I got my tool sensor from LNC cause i am using their controller for my woodworking ATC machines, it works very well and its price is about usd150.0 here. Of course i searched tool sensor a lot, one is from Japan, the price is about 4 times higher, i think it is maybe the best one, i dont use cause the price is too high.
    For the weihong breakout board, there is a problem to use tool sensor, as i know most tool sensor are DC24V, while this breakout board is DC5V, SO it can not give the right power to triggle the tool sensor. And DC24v will kill the breakout board.
    I tried to upload my pic of the tool sensor, it failed times.
    so maybe it is a good way for you to make it by yourself.
    regards
    Alan

Hi Alan, yes I am only 5v at the board. I could get another board from Weihong that has 24v but I don't want to spend that much money.

I will now make a sensor myself.

Thanks

Rob

Hi again Alan

Are you able to supply pricing on Weihong PCI cards, the one I am using is tempramental so I would like to try & find a replacement just in case it does go bad.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob:
    Thanks for your trust. And i think it is much better that you buy from whom you bought your cnc router. Because they know your machine better.
    If they can not, then you can send me email, [email protected]
    Regards
    Alan

Thanks Alan, I will see how I get on with the manufacturer.

If it gets too difficult I will just convert to using Mach3 instead.

Rob

Hi Robbec,

I plan to acquire a CNC router and in specs supplier gave me:
    Control system is Ncstudio, DSP in option
    Compatible file format: G Code, PLT, DXF and ENG
    My question is: can Ncstudio handles directly DXF files?
    Regards.

Hi, as far as I know NCStudio cannot handle DXF files directly. I suspect that you could if you got the DSP option. Sorry I can't be anymore help than that. Rob

Thanks Robbec,
    I think you are true, DSP for offline usage.

Hi Joba:
    Neither the DSP nor the Ncstudio can handle the DXF directly. You have to convert DXF file into G code file through CAM software.
    Regards
    Alan

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by robbec View Post
    Alan, you are correct, a tool sensor is the best option.

I am trying to find an affordable one but they don't don't seem to be too readily available so I will probably build one.

If you are able to recommend somewhere that I could find a tool sensor that would be apreciated.

Thanks

Rob
    you are welcome to visit us Jinan Transon CNC Equipment Co., Ltd. -----CNC Router,Laser engraving machine,Laser Cutting machine--Jinan Transon CNC Equipment Co., Ltd. --Powered by MetInfo thanks

Hi. I would also like to add a zero tool to my NC Studio setup. I took a photo of the connector board. It's all printed in chinese signs. May someone tell me if This kind of board has the needes "CUT" pin? Thanks in advance, Giaccomo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg