Quote Originally Posted by MikeSherman View Post
Great start....

Curious why you just didn't rework the stainless y-axis nut you already had made versus making an entirely new one from aluminum? Looked like you only had to re-machine the topside?

What are your plans to retain the y-axis bearing from popping out? Fasteners around the periphery or perhaps another plate?

-Mike
It was easier to remake the new bracket because it was aluminum and also because 2 of the top screw holes were off just enought that the heads of the screws wouldn't allow them to set down in the recessed holes in the ballnut flange.

I won't need to secure the bearing down because the bearing is pinched between the jam nut and the shoulder of the ballscrew. This means the shaft would need to move out of the bracket with the bearing. Once I install the lovejoy couplers to the shaft and mount the motor, the shaft can't move towards the motor because it will be solid/tight and it can't move towards the rear because of the bracket where the bearing is located.

However the issue I may have is if the ball nut hits the bottom part of the frame it will then force all the pressure on itself or the bracket in the front. This could cause a problem, so I might make a stopping plate and mount it on the chassis so that the plate will cause the motor to fail not binding everything up because it has compressed the ballnut and bracket into each other.