Those familiar with SkyFire know the relationship of the Mikinimech machines and the Skyfire SVM-2. I am using the SVM-2P-1A as the base machine for my new build. The changes I am making is that I will be using LinuxCNC as my control software instead of Mach 3.

I made this choice since I have previously modified two Sieg Desktop mills to add CNC control in which I used LinuxCNC. The first was a Habor Freight minimill which is closer in size to the SVM-0. The second was the Harbor Freight Small mill closer to the SVM-1. In the first case I hand scraped the ways, end finished the ball screws, and modified ball nuts so they would work as preloaded dual ball nuts. In both cases I used the Gecko 540 stepper drives. The second machine, I wimped out and just replaced the hand cranks with "homemade clamp on stepper motor assemblies." While they have served my purposes for several years, I now yearn for more capacity, rigidity, speed and accuracy. I am also tired of manually making the tool changes.

I have the SVM-2P-1A on order but to expedite the conversion to LinuxCNC I have also ordered one of the servo and Driver sets, so I can experimentally determine the best for me configuration.

In addition, since I am tired of the two handed multistep tool changes on my small mill, I have ordered the SVM-1 power draw bar. This last order will be shipped to me by Air. But I can get the draw bar, Servo, and Servo Driver with Air Shipment costs included for less than I can get the Tormach draw bar.

If any interest I will continue sharing my experiences.

Hubert