587,255 active members*
3,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Control help

Question Control help

Hi,
    we have 4 Okuma LB2500EX lathes that are identical purchased new in 2012. One wound up with a busted lcd, and maint. tech removed the pc, I replaced lcd and put pc back in. It is an osp-p300 control. When we brought it back up it has an alarm d stroke end over X axis 4. My big question is did this happen because we removed the pc or was this likely an existing fault before screen was destroyed.
    Thanks for any insight!

Re: Control help

Likely this is is a software overtravel, possibly due to loss of battery memory. Consult your operator manual to reset the stroke limits. My advice on this is general, I have no specific experience on the P300 control.

This could happen when the turret drifts going from power to e-stop before the brake kicks in. You need to go to the back of the electrical cabinet, turn on the overtravel release switch , go to manual mode and press reset. You will get an alarm "stroke end limit release' and then you need to move away from the limit using the pulse handle. Then turn the switch back off and hit RESET. All alarms should be cleared.

DO NOT reset your stroke end limits.

The okuma has absolute encoders and knows where it is positioned at all times. The stroke end limits tell the machine how far it can travel before hitting the hard limit switches and do not need to be changed. EVER. Even in the event of an encoder, ballscrew replacement, belt replacement etc., it should not be changed. If the encoder is changed out, you should use the PR ZERO OFFSET to "shift" the encoder position which leaves zero set, stroke end limits, variable limits, etc. all intact without having to change them all. One and done.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Hi guys
    I was away for awhile, but OkumaWiz was correct it was the turret drifted down. I appreciate the help and probly will ask for more as i get used to Okumas!

how much was the difference ? how long was the machine stopped ?

such error, in most cases is trigered by factors not dependant to lcd replacement ... " ambient temperature " is one of them

Okuma minimizes thermal deformation, and far as i know they started to provide it as default ...

i hit into such stuff, when machine, some times, was losing position over night ... i have decrease P+ ( attached image )

just observe how much is " difference " and how often " overtravel " occurs :
    ............ light values = maybe ambient
    ............ significant values = dirt ? something expensive ?

PS > there is no need to break the lcd like that ... consider to turn if off 1st ( attached image ) so, the lcd, not know what hit it ... also recommended for stable setups
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg