587,303 active members*
3,888 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Fealing a little over taxed?
Page 1 of 7 123

Fealing a little over taxed?

I borrowed this from another forum, because we here care more!

What is a billion???

The next time you hear a politician use the word "billion" in a casual manner, think about whether you want the "politicians" spending your tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

A. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

D. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

E. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain, let's take a look at New Orleans. It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division . . .

Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu (D), is presently asking the Congress for $250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans. Interesting number, what does it mean?

A. Well, if you are one of 484,674 residents of New Orleans (every man, woman, child), you each get $516,528.

B. Or, if you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans, your home gets $1,329,787.

C. Or, if you are a family of four, your family gets $2,066,012.

Washington, D.C .. HELLO!!! ... Are all your calculators broken??

This is too true to be very funny

Tax his land,
    Tax his wage,
    Tax his bed in which he lays.

Tax his tractor,
    Tax his mule,
    Teach him taxes is the rule.

Tax his cow,
    Tax his goat,
    Tax his pants,
    Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
    Tax his shirts,
    Tax his work,
    Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
    Tax his drink,
    Tax him if he tries to think.

Tax his booze,
    Tax his beers,
    If he cries,
    Tax his tears.

Tax his bills,
    Tax his gas,
    Tax his notes,
    Tax his cash.

Tax him good and let him know
    That after taxes, he has no dough.

If he hollers,
    Tax him more,
    Tax him until he's good and sore.

Tax his coffin,
    Tax his grave,
    Tax the sod in which he lays.

Put these words upon his tomb,
    "Taxes drove me to my doom!"

And when he's gone,
    We won't relax,
    We'll still be after the inheritance TAX!!

Accounts Receivable Tax
    Building Permit Tax
    CDL License Tax
    Cigarette Tax
    Corporate Income Tax
    Dog License Tax
    Federal Income Tax
    Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)

Fishing License Tax
    Food License Tax
    Fuel Permit Tax
    Gasoline Tax
    Hunting License Tax
    Inheritance Tax
    Inventory Tax
    IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax),
    IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax),

Liquor Tax,
    Luxury Tax,
    Marriage License Tax,
    Medicare Tax,
    Property Tax,
    Real Estate Tax,
    Service charge taxes,
    Social Security Tax,
    Road Usage Tax (Truckers),
    Sales Taxes,

Recreational Vehicle Tax,
    School Tax,
    State Income Tax,
    State Unemployment Tax (SUTA),
    Telephone Federal Excise Tax,
    Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax,
    Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax,

Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax,
    Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax,
    Telephone State and Local Tax,
    Telephone Usage Charge Tax,
    Utility Tax,
    Vehicle License Registration Tax,

Vehicle Sales Tax,
    Watercraft Registration Tax,
    Well Permit Tax,
    Workers Compensation Tax.

COMMENTS: Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago
    And there was prosperity, absolutely no national debt, the largest middle class in the world and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

So who's dumping the tea and in which harbor do we start???

you have to laugh to keep from crying!

:cheers:
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Somewhere a long the lines, they figured it out when they did away with slavery in the civil war. Now we have a new type of slavery where we constantly work to pay taxes and credit debt as we become a nation with three groups or kinds of people. One is the majority of people in debt for the rest of thier lives, second the minority of filthy rich and third , the homeless, almost homeless and prison inmates(which I believe our nation has the highest percentage of its population in prisons.). I remember being in junior high when I had my first political class and read the history of the United States and I always thought that when I get older that our country would just develope into a better civilization. But now look at it, very violent crime rates such as carjacking, home invasions, kids killing in highschools, child molestors get less time than someone in possession of an ounce of pot, unbelievable gas prices, poverty, rich people becoming more richer and there fore creating monopolies in every sector making it harder for anyone else to get a slice of the pie. And to top it off we ended the evil regime of Saddam only to unleash more evil than ever before and hey it is the right thing to do(according to our President). So yeah prepare to always pay more taxes and don,t trust your nest egg that your building to get ya thru when your elderly and retired......

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe
    .....we constantly work to pay taxes and credit debt ......
    Taxes you can b1tch about. But most peoples credit debt is there own fault. How many people get these cards through Lowe, Home depot and Sears. Now you are paying upwards of 30% in interest for a lot of stuff that you may not even have needed in the first place.

Here, Here Lakeside nails it again!

Conspicuous consumption. Do you really need the 42" flatscreen? How about the $120 a month cable bill? What about the cell phone at your hip? Those things remind me of kids and walky-talkys. What do yo pay a month to stay connected? A Land Line can run just $16 a month Useful when you actualy need a phone to dial 911.

There are a lot of things people have been convinced they *need* but in reality they can live just fine without. When people have been buying houses, they seem to need a castle. Why? To show everyone you made it? Then when the balloon interest takes off and you are sick for a week and miss work, everything starts to fall down. The gas bill gets held off for the mortgage payment one month, the next the car ins. is due so the cell phone don't get paid. To make matters worse, the idea of using a credit card for this pinch is mind set into America. Used to be a thing called "Loan Sharks" and they were against the law. Now we have "Pay day Loans" and they are within the law but have the same interest rates.

If you own a credit card, cut it up. If you want a convinience card, get a check card, but stay aware of your balance. Rein it in America, they control you with the debt they entice you to dig into.

The problem with people is half of em have less than 100 IQs.

Interesting. I'm encouraged to see that common sense still exists today.

Unfortunately, we as a minority in the common sense arena, can't do much about the public perceptions. We can however prepare for the inevitable. We can hone our skills, become more self sufficient, and save what we can. In the eventuality of a monetary correction within the U.S., in any case you are better off. Although this can be easily said, it is not so easily implemented. It takes some effort to drag yourselves away from the WalMarts of the world only to spend more time and money getting the same goods. I still struggle. I’m concerned about the amount of leverage our own government has on us. The shear number of taxes and levies burdened on the citizens sometimes stumps me. How can the average Joe expect to live? Even if he goes without the 42”, cell phone, cable, boat, 4 wheeler, internet, ….. insurance alone will eat you up. Have any of you ever priced what health insurance costs in the U.S.? It drops my jaw every time.

It’s not all without hope. The future lifestyle “correction” will come. In that time it will be stressful, but survivable. I believe only then will we be humbled again. It has happened in every civilization throughout time. It’s utter ignorance to think we aren’t at the threshold of something like that now.

In the US we as a group have forgotten the lesons of the great depresion of the 30;s as our grandparent knew.We as a group have forgotten the run away infation of the 70's. We as a group may see these thing agian in our life time

Ireland has one of the highest debt ratios per capita in the world. The last decade has witnessed our economic boom which is accepted was driven by debt and borrowing. 9% credit card rates so everyone has a credit card (Or a few credit cards). 100% mortgages have come on line so everyone could buy a house. The problem now is that its all reaching a point where its going to implode. Those 100% mortgages have allowed investors to drive house prices up to line their own pockets, people have demanded wage increases to live in the most expensive nation in Europe and within the top five in the world. We have more helicopters per head of population than ANY other country in the world. We have 'low' income tax rates (But lots of hidden tax such as high VAT). But now the manufacturing industries cant afford to pay the wages and are all moving to the new European accession states. As they leave unemployment will increase and wages will drop. People will be on lower incomes saddled with debt that they could barely afford when earning 30% more. People will lose their houses. The last budget saw the government give €1000 cash to families to help with child care costs, and the following week saw the papers report on the many childcare schools that increased their prices by the exact same amount. Grab grab grab while you can and screw everyone else! Tax rates will go up to maintain the services which we have now, which are actually very bad due to wastage, inadequate planning, and incompetent leadership. There are currently two 'camps'. The one that believes the bubble will burst, and the one that believes the bubble will deflate slowly allowing everyone a comfortable landing. I hope the second camp is right. Im one of those with debt, but not saddled, and at lease I have a plan to get rid of it. Slowly but surely....slowly but surely...

Quote Originally Posted by borrisl
    Interesting. I'm encouraged to see that common sense still exists today.

We can hone our skills, become more self sufficient, and save what we can. In the eventuality of a monetary correction within the U.S., in any case you are better off. Although this can be easily said, it is not so easily implemented. It takes some effort to drag yourselves away from the WalMarts of the world only to spend more time and money getting the same goods. I still struggle. I’m concerned about the amount of leverage our own government has on us. The shear number of taxes and levies burdened on the citizens sometimes stumps me. How can the average Joe expect to live? Even if he goes without the 42”, cell phone, cable, boat, 4 wheeler, internet, ….. insurance alone will eat you up. Have any of you ever priced what health insurance costs in the U.S.? It drops my jaw every time.

It’s not all without hope. The future lifestyle “correction” will come. In that time it will be stressful, but survivable. I believe only then will we be humbled again. It has happened in every civilization throughout time. It’s utter ignorance to think we aren’t at the threshold of something like that now.

I bet you cook most of your meals and still change your oil in decent weather (coupons in winter). My TV finally died. I may not get another. Too much fun learning CNC programming. Oh now there s a vice. Books can be $$$.

Yes, we (America) have been living a dream. We're trying to live the Roaring 20s on a Depression 30s budget utilizing the backs of our children to pay the credit interest. I have no kids of my own, but I'm concerned for the kids I see.

Lakeside I agree with you on the credit cards to a point. My situation is due to my business, but I did have a chance to pay it off but I opted for the crappy custom paint job on my car along with very nice rims and tires only to have my wife commandeer the car.

Mr. Wild very good point about people led to believe they need certain material things in life. I do have a cel phone which I use for my business but I,ve had it for 14 years and I,m about over it and I,m ready to get my business to the point where I don,t need a cel phone. As far as cable goes , don,t have but wish I did, I currently have about 5 channels of static tv.

Diarmaid, very good observation about home prices being driven up. I truly believe, the real eatate people including realtors, investors(mainly investors) and the finance people have all helped to drive the prices up to unbelievable levels. I,m here in daytona , Florida and home prices here are just sickening. Example 2 bedrm,1cargarage 7 years ago 55-60,000 now 185-220,000. Sickening, I mean I own my own place but I feel sorry for the younger generation as everything is being bought up and marked up. Like you said it will all IMPLODE!!!!

the town i live in is going way out, they are going to build a 10 apartment complex at the cost of 1.1 million for the senior citizens. the apartments are one bedroom 600 sq foot i would think $110,000 would buy more than 600 sq feet or am i still living in the past

Quote Originally Posted by krt9751
    i would think $110,000 would buy more than 600 sq feet or am i still living in the past
    My lot of land is 20 miles south of Boston, Mass. It is 5500 sq. ft with a small ranch that is 18' x 52'. In 1995 I paid 43k for the place (it was so old, ugly and cheap I could not pass on it). My tax assessment this year is over $2200. The appraised value is $240K. If value increases 5%/year. That about $1k in equality a month, base on this year assessment. So price can be deceiving. Because over time even if you pay too much now for your house. If you can hold on to it, you win

Taxed To Death

Most people today do not live by their means. It's all Common Sence. Personally I do not own a home, but this day and age even living by your means is not enough. I still don't get the waste of money these days. I wonder if this classifies me as a "cheap-skate"? (wedge)

Two things to be sure of in life is "Death and Taxes"!!!!!! Get used to it or change it if you can. "Such is Life". At least the US isn't a 3rd World Country.....Yet. :stickpoke
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Not a third world country but we are hard at work fixing that!

I always hear the illegals are just working the jobs the citizens don't want. Well the reason "citizens" don't want them is welfare and unemployment or better yet some scam off of both pay better! Why should they work when Uncle Sam and the wonderful politicians keep try to redistribute all the money to the non-working class!

F'n politicians will do anyone in!

I can't remember the name of the book but a buddy reminded me of high school when we had to read memoirs of Julius Caesar (the book title is from memory so I may be wrong). But after The Caesar had concerned most of the known world the politicians pretty much tore the country apart so that the barbarian hoard could come in and easily take them down. Its funny how allot of the problems that good old Julius had to deal with mirror today’s problems!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    Not a third world country but we are hard at work fixing that!

I always hear the illegals are just working the jobs the citizens don't want. Well the reason "citizens" don't want them is welfare and unemployment or better yet some scam off of both pay better! Why should they work when Uncle Sam and the wonderful politicians keep try to redistribute all the money to the non-working class!

F'n politicians will do anyone in!

I can't remember the name of the book but a buddy reminded me of high school when we had to read memoirs of Julius Caesar (the book title is from memory so I may be wrong). But after The Caesar had concerned most of the known world the politicians pretty much tore the country apart so that the barbarian hoard could come in and easily take them down. Its funny how allot of the problems that good old Julius had to deal with mirror today’s problems!

Miljnor,

We have always been taught that History Repeats itself Until "We The People" stand up and take charge of what happens this is the way it will always be.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

personally i like the finer things in life , some things i have other things i don t , and i desearve what i do have ,i work damned hard for it , my smokes are taxed to the extreme my drink is taxed to the extreme , most anything that a person may enjoy is taxed to the extreme , sin tax they call it , now i understand i pay property taxes,for the street lights schools etc ,i can understand a PORTION of the gas tax to keep the roadways drivable ,the other portion is a f$%in mistery to me ,
    taxes are necessary, to keep a country running smoothly ,this i can understand , but when i see millions upon millions being handed over to other countries for debt relief and other types of releaf ,it really pisses me off , i am far over taxed because apparently the goverment needs more money to keep the country running and they are handing over my money ???
    bottom line is if I over run my debts i loose it all as so should they , drop the flag down the pole ! i own it now

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap
    personally i like the finer things in life , some things i have other things i don t , and i desearve what i do have ,i work damned hard for it , my smokes are taxed to the extreme my drink is taxed to the extreme , most anything that a person may enjoy is taxed to the extreme , sin tax they call it , now i understand i pay property taxes,for the street lights schools etc ,i can understand a PORTION of the gas tax to keep the roadways drivable ,the other portion is a f$%in mistery to me ,
    taxes are necessary, to keep a country running smoothly ,this i can understand , but when i see millions upon millions being handed over to other countries for debt relief and other types of releaf ,it really pisses me off , i am far over taxed because apparently the goverment needs more money to keep the country running and they are handing over my money ???
    bottom line is if I over run my debts i loose it all as so should they , drop the flag down the pole ! i own it now

TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOSTON TEA PARTY!!!!!! We should all meet at Mikes house kick back a few Brews and plan the "Next Boston Tea Party". Dersap I'll bring the Burgers, you supply the Cigarettes (Marlboro's) It's time for a good party. :cheers: All this reality is depressing. :cheers:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    BOSTON TEA PARTY!!!!!! We should all meet at Mikes house kick back a few Brews and plan the "Next Boston Tea Party".
    The only issue would be getting to Boston Harbor as our $14 Billion US tax dollars Big Dig is falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    The only issue would be getting to Boston Harbor as our $14 Billion US tax dollars Big Dig is falling apart.
    Technically incorrect Mike; it is a tunnel it can't fall 'apart' it is falling 'in' .

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside

I have a Kayak, that won't be a problem Mike. When is the party? :rainfro:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    I have a Kayak, that won't be a problem Mike.
    Coolers and Kayak don't work, I've tried :cheers:
    After all for any attack. You must be properly loaded :cheers:

Page 1 of 7 123