587,756 active members*
3,302 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 Faulting on X Jog and Y Jog after running with the MDI on Mach 3 - Please Help

Hybrid View

Re: G540 Faulting on X Jog and Y Jog after running with the MDI on Mach 3 - Please He

CoAMarcus - Thank you so much. I didnt realize you guys did repairs. Unfortunately i just bought an other one. Hmm im going to have to try this and see if i can send the other back. Good recommendation on separating them. I now get a green LED. Im going to make an adapter so i can plug them in one at at a time. Thank you all for the ideas. I currently didnt set a resistor because i have 3.5 Amp motors. But i see now it was a very good idea to do it any ways.

John - Yeah i have the charge pump off. I've switched it back and forth and nothing. Also i gave a link to my kit that doesn't have the excessive noise to it does it? I will definitely add in resistors to my new one or fixed one.

Tommylight - Thank you for the advice.

Question to all - You think i should buy some new motors for the new setup? The only thing i can figure out that was the problem was to small of wires to the motors. The DB9 cables i bought had 28awg wire and from some documents i found online if you are running 3.5 amps a minim requirement is 24awg. I might have to buy some connectors and 4 pair wire and run my own wires. Also was thinking be a good idea to put the resistor in the control box in front of the fan? Less wire clear to the motors. Good idea or bad? Think the small wire plus the no resistor installed contributed to my problem? After pulling apart the gecko a slight burned connection on the Z axis is burned. Will upload some pictures.
    To all people replied, thank you again for the help. Much appreciated. I really didn't run this Gecko long before it burned up or what ever it did. I think Gecko should update some more requirements on there installation guide if this was the problem. I made sure when i solder my control box i used the right size of wire but didn't think the DB9 cables were two small. Oh well you live and learn. Thanks again.

Kit i Bought
    G540 4-Axis kit Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Printers For Sale
    Motors i have - Which are 3.5 Amp per phase.
    High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Prin

Cables from Amazon i used to run the motors - i verified from C2G(Cables to Go) that they are 28awg wire.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: G540 Faulting on X Jog and Y Jog after running with the MDI on Mach 3 - Please He

Quote Originally Posted by Mokra View Post
    Question to all - You think i should buy some new motors for the new setup? The only thing i can figure out that was the problem was to small of wires to the motors. The DB9 cables i bought had 28awg wire and from some documents i found online if you are running 3.5 amps a minim requirement is 24awg. I might have to buy some connectors and 4 pair wire and run my own wires. Also was thinking be a good idea to put the resistor in the control box in front of the fan? Less wire clear to the motors. Good idea or bad? Think the small wire plus the no resistor installed contributed to my problem? After pulling apart the gecko a slight burned connection on the Z axis is burned. Will upload some pictures.
    To all people replied, thank you again for the help. Much appreciated. I really didn't run this Gecko long before it burned up or what ever it did. I think Gecko should update some more requirements on there installation guide if this was the problem. I made sure when i solder my control box i used the right size of wire but didn't think the DB9 cables were two small. Oh well you live and learn. Thanks again.
    You should really use 22AWG with that type of motor; most manufacturers like Lin Engineering just pop 22AWG on all NEMA 23s to be sure. You should also not be using off-the-shelf DB9 cables as they are typically rated for less current per pin than a stepper motor requires. The only exception is the CNC Router Parts cable but they are custom made for them for the G540 so they have a higher gauge wire inside.

We can pop an application note on our site soon about correct wire gauge and why off the shelf DB9s aren't recommended. We are going to be doing some tech videos as well so this can be one of them. Don't worry though, we will also write the app note; I hate being forced to watch a video on something I could easily just read about.

Go ahead and shoot that G540 over here and we can run it through out tests and get it working like new again.
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Thank you CoAMarcus for the reply. Yeah be nice to see that update on there because i am not the only who who has bought off the shelf DB9 Cables for this that is how i found out the mistake i made. I think it might of only burned the one chip that you can remove so it might be an easy fix. I will have two i guess lol. Thanks again