Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
These do not appear to be traditional stepper motor, also I am a little suspicious of any servo motor site that makes a statement such as "Compared with servo systems, easy servo systems have much higher low-speed torque that servo systems lack, no overshooting, and no hunting."

No:1 A DC servo, and most DC/BLDC motors have maximum torque at zero rpm, and remains fairly flat through the rpm range, just look at the torque/rpm curve, the servo systems I implement, when tuned do not "overshoot and hunt"!.
Al.
Actually, a properly sized stepper system compared to a properly sized servo system will always have additional reserve torque at low speed. The reason is because in order to achieve the maximum feed rate there is a certain required torque. Since the servo has a flat torque curve the 0 rpm torque will be close to what is required at max feed. Conversely, you would have to have a stepper with much higher 0 rpm torque so that at max feed there is still enough torque not to stall. so at speeds below the driving design point, the stepper system will have more torque than the servo, and hence more reserve torque.

I'm not saying steppers are better, just pointing out how each design differs.