587,955 active members*
3,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 13 of 422 311121314152363113
    Ha!

First of all ... i suppose newbies (like me) try to read 1/1000 of information here, but it is impossible .

I am quite new to CNC ... (hmm have touched bout 4 CNC machines, but never used in full). Lots of questions arise and i can find lots of answers here just using search (not newbie fella in forum system) and just not tring to piss off
    seniors by asking questions wich where asked hundreds of times before :stickpoke !

Anyways, i am planing having my small CNC shop in .... well ... someday.
    And questions already arising in my head.

Great site, great community, even adds are good

Greets from Lithuania!
    AG

Hi.

I've been cutting wax for jewelry application for about 5 months now.The learning curve has been insane/fun. Most of my knoweledge and training has been a combination of trial and error (lucky for me in wax) or late nights on the net gleaning info from cnc related sites and forums. The rare chat on the phone with other machinist and peers is always a chance to learn more.I have been using Matrix/Rhino for the design part for about 2 years and had many parts done by service partners, both milled and a variety of prototyping.This fourm and it's members provided some of the groundwork info for my decision to aquire a Minitech product for our needs. The mill I am using is the minimill1,4axis,with nsk high speed spindle.Deskproto 4.1 and Mach3.

Glad I came out of the closet,

Sananda
    http://www.myspace.com/sananda3d
    www.murpheythejeweler.com

I'm a foreman for a large mill/turn plant. I was curios of opinions/views of machinists.I know ,why don't I just ask. I do but sometimes feel the responses are watered down.I'm enjoying reading the technical sections also.Also working nites can get pretty boring.

Smile

Hey every one. Well i have been checking out some of the post on here for a bit. So i figured this forum might help out some. OK so i know very little about cnc machining but I'm gona learn. Now the reason I'm really interested is , well it looks like a pretty dam cool thing to have and I'm an artist, Now the art work i do is called intarsia, I'm sure most of you know what it is. But for the one's that don't its a 3d inlay . Wish i had some Pict's to show but my comp went down so i had to format it and haven't found my CD with the Pict's so when i do ill show you. Now the thing is i whole sell my items to the stores direct, I'm starting to lose clients from not producing fast enough . I had hired people once before, but once they learned they went on there own thinking it would be easy. The machine i have been looking at is the jgro plans. Seems like a great starter but i tried to down load the pfd file and get a fatal error. Sorry for babbling but once i get started i don't stop lol.So what do you think, will this help in my ventures and where do i start? Thanks Graham

Hi!

I started on manual machines about 15 years ago, CNC about 8 years now. I've worked in some large repair shops (ship repair), now I'm slowly starting my own small shop.

Been working part time out of the garage for the last two years. Just finished the new building (24x32), and am still moving in. Have a Haas TL-2, Gibbs, most other required tools and equip., hope to get a VMC soon.

Anyway, great site. Been doing lots of reading and figured I'd better check in.

Shane

Hello All,

I just bought a shop about a year ago.
    Been lurking on & off this site for a while just joined though.
    There is a TON of info & experience here. I love it.
    And its been keeping me off of Ebay
    Thanx cnczone
    I got hooked on the "lets build a guitar " thread
    Joe

Hi
    I have just started a job as an advisory teacher. Teaching 14 year olds how to draw usibg ProDesktop and then convert their designs into DXF files which can be processed and used to operate a range of CNC machines. We also have 2 laser cutters as will as 4 CNC routers.and an RP machine. Hoping to get some good ideas from the forum. I will posy photos of the students work as and when they produce it over the next year.

Brian

my turn for an intro...

I just logged in today and saw the nice little message asking me to make my first post so here it is.

33 yr. young Mechanical Engineering sophomore at Arizona State. Trying to finish the degree I started all those years ago before I dropped out and joined the Navy (I love the G.I. Bill!!). I love to do mechanical projects and decided that the best way to help get my ideas out of my head and into real life was to build myself a CNC rig. You can check out my progress (what little there is) by going to my webpage at http://members.cox.net/crash91/. I hope to get it done enough to use it as a resume bolster for my internship search next spring.

Take care

Hello all. Just lurking. Been a machinist for 30 years, manual (lathes, mills grinders, all big and small), cnc (Haas, Fanuc, Mazak, old and new). I've worked in electronics, medical, aircraft, food processing and high vacuum. I even had my own small shop for awhile.

Bill

Hello all...

Yet another newbie! I have been lurking here for quite a while, made the decision to purchase a Dyna CNC plasma/router table and joined.

Still waiting on the delivery of the table....but received some of the software from the company......I think I made a huge mistake! The programs is not as easy to grasp as they claim, Thats for sure!

The information here has helped me inch along with very few hammer head marks on my computer screen!

Thanks,

Phil

Hello!

Hello! Just a quick first post - I've been pointed this way by a few different machinist sites.

I'm looking to move into milling and, hopefully, adapting to CNC. I've joined up ideally to build up some solid info before making any commitments though!

I've got some very basic machine experience and I am increasing my experience and the capabilities of my workshop very slowly. I do have more experience with basic modelling and AutoCAD - I have notebooks full of great ideas and projects but not the hands-on skills to make them yet. I am looking forward to getting started with milling as I think it would bring an extra dimension to my small hobby-level workshop. I know that nearly everything can be done with enough elbow grease and files but I'd like to take a step up from that.

I'm full of questions but, honestly, I'm not likely to start any proper projects in the near future. Unless I win a few million next Saturday, of course...

New

Hi,
    I took interest actually a about a year or more, a friend builds guitars sparked my interest again. I'm looking to hopefully build a cnc router table for building speaker cabinets.

Thanks,
    James R

New Members and Non Posters, Where are you?

Hello 'Rekd and Others.

I'm new to CNC. My background is computer database administration, tech support and general software systems support. For the last two years I have been studying RHINO, playing with a ROLAND MDX-15 and putting myself through school for an AA degree - Industrial Design Technology.

CNC, digitizing, model making and 3D printing will be the focus of several classes I plan to attend in Autumn, 2006 and Winter, 2007. CNC Zone sure looks like a great place to learn more about tools, techniques and materials.

When I have some stories or pictures to share, I'll be sure to post them.

Thanks!

Colin Keizer

Hello All,

I to have yet to make a proper entry on this awsome forum. I have zero experience in CNC, just some manual machining on my 9x20 lathe and soon on an old knee-type mill I'm now restoring. My background is in aviation maintenance and for the last 4 years I've been working in Mining Equipment maintenance. I have always dreamed of owning my own machine shop, where I could make my own creations come to life. Out here in Suriname, South America, there are no machine tool shops or dealers, no CNC shops or professionals and not even a community college-type machining classes. That is why I have been using the internet and this forum for my research.
    By the end of this year I plan to start a little machine shop with a CNC Knee Mill, Manual Lathe and some other basics and work my way into this craft. Off course I also included a big stack of machining books and videos on my shopping list. I plan on keeping my dayjob for as long as I feel neccessary before going into machining full-time. Most of my preliminary work will be replicating or repairing parts for heavy machinery.

To all on this forum, I learned much from, so far, I would like to say thanks for all your advise and sharing your knowledge. Some day I too hope to contribute to this forum, like they do.

Thanks All,

Michael VanBrussel

This will be my first post!

How yeall doin?
    I"m a CNC machinist by trade and love doing it.
    I"ve been around CNC Zone for about 2 years ,watching and reading
    all the different CNC builds that people have done or are working on.
    Great job to every one!!
    My current project is a Sieg X2 / Max CNC conversion, I hope it works!

Thanks for reading my post.

Hello All, I've been lurkin' for going on a year. I saw a guy cutting wood gears with his homemade cnc at a woodworking show last Jan. and he told me about CNC Zone. I built a machine out of an old, old lathe that my dad bought at an auction when I was just a kid. I mounted a small table on the tool post for the x / y axis and built a plywood box type gantry that fits down over the headstock. I put Hobby CNC 200 oz. servos where the hand cranks used to be and after messin' around with it a little bit got it to work. The hardest part for me has been the software, TurboCNC. Me and computers have never got along very well. Well...all of this was just to see if it really worked...and it does. So, I'm starting on my second machine. I'm thinking 24 to 32 inches by 48 inches or so. OK...so now I'm not a non-poster anymore. Great fourm !!!!!! Lot of great info. I couldn't have gone this far without it.......Back to lurkin'. Thanks all!! Jack

Hi all, I'm a newbie, have been checking out this site for a while now. I am currently soaking up as much knowledge as I can about cnc routers as I will be beginning to make one soon. Hat's off to all those who have posted their machines. the work and quality is incredible. so as this is my first posting, I'll just say this is a great site and I will definetely get more involved now.
    Cheers pat

Hi all, I'm a newbie as well, might be getting a series 1 bridgeport here soon

mill newbie

OK people you have a real green hand here to influence. I bought a Sherline CNC model 5400 Mill to make nameplates for some stuff. about 100 text characters on a 3"x5" plate. I was wondering which CAM software (30-day trial copy of Vector XT) free if possible to go with. I am familiar with (seen it done) but in no way trained. It seems I also need to find a dxf to gcode converter.

First time post forum also so I might hope to navigate back here for your illuminating responses.

Hi Luke

Hi,

First message from a another Chip Sweeper ;-).
    I 've been addicted to making/throwing (& sometimes catching...) boomerangs since I was 13. With (handheld) powertools it's quite hard to make 'm really smooth/aerodynamical, without it's easy but... that takes a lot of time.

So... I started looking for CNC stuff to do the job. I'd like to build a router and hopefully I'll find a secondhand plotter which could be converted to cut airbrush masks.

I'm lucky to know something about programming, but... I discovered that I really need to brush up on my knowledge of electronics.

Best wishes,
    Bart Derks
    The Netherlands.
    A naughty mind is a joy forever !

Page 13 of 422 311121314152363113