587,124 active members*
3,508 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 6 12345

Re: Help G54, G55, G56

Hi.....cool it .....the question has been answered.......it's a sub routine that I need not a macro.....just didn't know the terminology.....it's one step at a time for me.

Metaphorically speaking...I'm walking in in a dense jungle going from A to B, not flying over it in a 747 from A to B.......walking needs to be completely aware of what it takes to navigate that path etc, whereas all you need for a 747 is the plane ticket......it might be quicker, but the ground from 30,000 is just a blur beneath the clouds.

I'll never be an expert at G code or want to be, but by comparison, I'll be able to drive the family car around a F1 race track without going off the road or crashing into the barriers even if I come last.

Thanks Mac.....now I can see more clearly what it entails......I'll go back to your original post and "dissect" it to see how the sub is created and fits in.
    Ian.

Hi.....one more question.........if you have two vices or fixtures separately (but randomly) bolted to the mill table......how would Mach3 know the zero start for the second part in the second vice........that can only be defined with G54 G55 etc.

Bolting 2 vices or separate fixtures to the mill table means they can have both fixed jaws in line true to the X axis but not necessarily co-planar to each other or at any known distance apart.

You "could" make them an exact fixed distance apart and have the fixed jaws both precisely in line but that takes a lot of work in setting up and alignment.

That's OK if you're into production or doing many parts etc.......... G54 G55 function would tale care of the differences in vice position once you have set the offsets for each vice.

For a sub routine to work the start of the second part must be precisely known.....which is difficult when setting up a number of separate work holders.

It would work if the work holder was a single machined item with nesting that is machined exactly with positions relative to one another.....then the move in the X and/or Y direction can be defined in the sub code......two or more loose vices or separate fixtures don't have that capability..

Therefor, G54 G55 etc would cater for this as they establish the zero starting point for each work holder and the X and Y values in the program for the first part will be same for the second and other parts too as they are all related to the zero point of each work holder.

I assume a sub routine that machines the second part is adjusting the values of the X and Y moves from the first part by the defined amount in the sub code set-up.......provided the zero position for the second part is known.

So, I'm back where I started......I still need to have a block program that can be inserted into the program without having to write it out each time......and I think this can only be done by cutting and pasting the program in the Notepad program creating stage and using G54 G55 etc to get to the next part(s).......wherever it is.
    Ian.

You would have to pick up each xy for the sub location just like you would a g54. Unless you had it fixtured and locations were known, If you know the part is 1" from the first you could use that number. But if you are just throwing a vise on and running it, you have to locate it.

This dudes has some good video's IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT0w...8MS55&index=13

Quote Originally Posted by chuckorlando View Post
    You would have to pick up each xy for the sub location just like you would a g54. Unless you had it fixtured and locations were known, If you know the part is 1" from the first you could use that number. But if you are just throwing a vise on and running it, you have to locate it.
    Hi....the first vice position would be known but any other vice on the table is in a random position.........so a sub routine with an X and Y move will not work due to the second vice position being unknown.

As I said........to let Mach 3 know where the second vice is requires a G55 and the same list of codes as for the first vice part.....that means either writing it all out again after G55.....too time consuming and tedious..... or cutting it and pasting it into the program after the G55.....as I haven't done cutting and pasting it's something I'll have to try.

If the cutting and pasting works, that will solve the problem for consecutive multiple part machining in separate non related vices or fixtures which is what most people would use for a number of parts........why I do not know.......there is no time gain as the parts are cut one after the other with a single spindle not together.....loading time for two parts takes twice as long and cutting time too.........where is the gain?

The only gain with multiple part consecutive machining is the extra sit down time for the operator to drink tea and read the paper.......a job that takes 5 minutes to cut 1 part will take 10 minutes to cut 2 parts.
    Ian.

Thats not true. Just opening and closing the door takes 5sec. On a 40 part set up thats 200 seconds. Multiplied across 2000 parts. Tool changes are saved it done right which are more seconds. It will not matter at all in a home shop. But it can mean millions of dollars in production.

Maco could be a very usefull thing, i wrote several macro to repeat part, one to make a rectangular array of part, just ave to specify the x and y spacing, number of row and number of column. Another one to repeat on many origin (exactly wath you want an another one that mix these two macro. I use the last one when i make several part a a defined spacing per origin, and repeat that on several origin. For each one, you have to separate each tool on a sub prog. If you don't, it works, but you will run all tool on a single part before switch to the next, not very efficient.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????
    ? PERMET DE REPETER PLUSIEURS PROG ESPACE AVEC G52 . ?
    ? LES PIECE SONT USINéE EN "X LACE" EN PARTANT DU COIN SUPÉRIEUR GAUCHE ?
    ? FORMAT: G65 A... B... C... D... E... F... Z... T....P9202 ?
    ? A=SPACING X (EN MM) ?
    ? B=NOMBRE DE PIECE EN X ?
    ? C=PREMIER PROGRAMME ?
    ? D=DERNIER PROGRAMME ?
    ? E=SPACING EN Y(#8) ?
    ? F=NOMBRE DE PIECE EN Y (#9) ?
    ?Z=DEGALAGAE ?
    ?T=SENS AU DEPART METTRE A 1 POUR COMMENCER EN BAS A DROITE ?
    ?LA VALEUR EN Z EST SOUSTRAITE QUAND LE DÉPLACEMENT EST EN Y- ?
    ?LA VALEUR EN Z EST ADDITIONNÉE QUAND LE DÉPLACEMENT EST EN Y+ ?
    ? LES NUMERO DE PROG DOIVENT SE SUIVRE TOUT COMME LES ORIGINES ?
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????
    %
    O9202
    #11=#7-#3 (NB DE PROG TO DO)
    #12=#3
    #13=0 (NB DE PROG DONE)
    IF [#20 EQ 1] GOTO 9
    #14=0 (ORIGIN SHIFT X)
    #18=0 (ORIGINE SHIFT Y)
    #19=0 ( ORIGINE SHIFTZ)
    #16=0 (FLAG POUR RETENIR LE SENS EN X )
    #17=0 (FLAG POUR RETENIR SENS Y )
    G52 X0 Y0 Z0
    GOTO 10
    N9 #14=[#2-1]*#1
    #18=-[#9-1]*#8
    #19=[#26*[#9-1]]*[-1]
    G52 X#14 Y#18 Z#26
    #16=1
    #17=1
    N10 DO1
    #10=0 (CONTEUR DE PIECE X)
    #15=1 (CONTEUR DE PIECE Y)
    DO2
    IF [#16 EQ 1] GOTO 15
    DO3
    IF [#10 EQ #2] GOTO 13
    G52X#14
    M98 P#12
    #10=#10+1
    IF [#10 EQ #2] GOTO 13
    #14=#14+#1
    END3
    N13#16=1
    #10=0
    GOTO 17
    N15 DO3
    G52 X#14
    M98 P#12
    #10=#10+1
    IF[#10 EQ #2] GOTO 16
    #14=#14-#1
    END3
    N16 #16=0
    #10=0
    N17 IF [#15 EQ #9] GOTO 20
    IF[#9 EQ #0] GOTO 20
    IF [#17 EQ 1] GOTO18
    #18=#18-#8
    #19=#19-#26
    G52 Y#18 Z#19
    #15=#15+1
    GOTO 19
    N18 #18=#18+#8
    #19=#19+#26
    G52 Y#18 Z#19
    #15=#15+1
    N19 END2
    N20 #13=#13+1
    IF [#13 GT #11] GOTO 23
    #12=#12+1
    G80
    #130=0
    IF[#17 EQ 1] GOTO 21
    #17=1
    GOTO 22
    N21 #17=0
    N22 END1
    N23 G52X0 Y0 Z0
    G80
    M99
    %

************************************************** ********************************************
    * PERMET DE REPETER PLUSIEURS PROG SUR DES ORIGINES MULTIPLES. *
    * FORMAT: G65 A... B... C... D...F... P9201 *
    * A=ORIGINE 1(G54, G55, G56 ECT) *
    * B=NOMBRE D'ORIGINE DIFFERENTES *
    * C=PREMIER PROGRAMME *
    * D=DERNIER PROGRAMME *
    * F=METTRE A 1 POUR COMMENCER PAR LA DERNIERE ORIGINE *
    * LES NUMERO DE PROG DOIVENT SE SUIVRE TOUT COMME LES ORIGINES *
    ************************************************** ********************************************
    %
    O9201
    #11=#7-#3
    #12=#3
    #13=0
    N10DO1
    #10=0
    IF[#9NE1]GOTO11
    #1=#1+#2-1
    GOTO16
    N11DO2
    G#1
    M98P#12
    #10=#10+1
    IF[#10EQ#2]GOTO15
    #1=#1+1
    END2
    N15#13=#13+1
    G80
    #130=0
    IF[#13GT#11]GOTO18
    #10=0
    #12=#12+1
    N16DO2
    #9=0
    G#1
    M98P#12
    #10=#10+1
    IF[#10EQ#2]GOTO17
    #1=#1-1
    END2
    N17#13=#13+1
    G80
    #130=0
    IF[#13GT#11]GOTO18
    #12=#12+1
    END1
    N18M99
    %

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????? ?
    ?FORMAT: G65 A...B...C...D...E...F...P9203 ?
    ?A=SPACING ENTRE CHAQUE PIECE ?
    ?B=NB DE PIECE PAR ORIGINE ?
    ?C=PREMIER PROG ?
    ?D=DERNIER PROG ?
    ?E=PREMIERE ORIGINE ?
    ?F=NB D'ORIGINE ?
    ?TOUTE LES VALEUR DOIVENT AVOIR UN POINT DECIMAL ?
    ?AVANT DE LOADER CE PROG METTRE SKIP LINE PREFIX A "?" ?
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????
    %
    O9203(REPEAT WITH G52 ON MANY ORIGIN)
    #4=#7-#3+1 (NB DE PROG TO DO)
    #6=1 (DIRECTION 1=+ -1=-)
    #10=0 (COMPTEUR DE PIECE PAR ORIGINE)
    #11=0 (COMPTEUR D'ORIGINE)
    #13=#8 (ORIGINE ACTUELLE)
    #15=0 (COMPTEUR DE PROG)
    WHILE [#15 LT#4] DO1 (TANT QU'IL RESTE DES PROG A EXECUTER)
    #11=0 (RESET CT ORIGINE)
    WHILE[#11 LT#9] DO2 (TANT QU'IL REST DES ORIGINE A FAIRE)
    IF[#6 EQ [-1]] GOTO 20 (SI ON DECREMENTE)
    #13=#8+#11 (SET ORIGINE 1ST ORIGINE +NB ORIGINE DE FAIT)
    GOTO 25
    N20 #13=#8+#9-1-#11 (SET ORIGINE LAST ORIGINE -NB ORIGINE DE FAIT)
    N25 G#13
    #14=0
    #10=0
    WHILE[#10 LT #2] DO3
    IF[#6 EQ [-1]] GOTO30
    #14=#10*#1
    GOTO35
    N30 #14=#1*[#2-1]-#10*#1
    N35 G52 X#14M98P#3
    #10=#10+1
    END3
    #11=#11+1
    END2
    #15=#15+1
    #3=#3+1
    #6=#6*[-1]
    #130=0
    G80
    END1
    G52 X0 Y0
    M99
    %

Look at O9201, it is what you want.

Your prog should look like this:
    A is your first origin (g54 in this example)
    B is the number of origin (3 in this example so G54-G55-G56)
    C is the first prog number to be repeated
    D is the last prog number to be repeated

%
    O0001
    N4 G00 G17 G40 G49 G80
    G65 A54. B3. C2. D4. P9201
    G91 G30 Z0 M9
    G28 Y0
    G52 X0
    G90 G54 X325.
    M6 T20
    M30

O0002
    M6 TXXXX
    FIRST TOOL PROG
    M99

O0003
    M6 TXXX
    SECOND TOOL PROG
    M99

O0004
    M6TXXX
    THIRD TOOL PROG
    M99
    %

AHAHAHAHA I have enough of a clue to say what I have said. Why would anyone care who talked more about what? This is not a pissing match.

If you had taken the time to explain what you were saying in the first place, there would never have been any confusion.

I never disagreed with anything you said. Except where you were wrong.
    If you did then we would of shown some examples, and corrected what you thought was wrong

Only those that don't know how to program would of had any confusion,with what I posted, just your inability to understand the very basic's of programing
    Mactec54

samu

A good example, and shows that this is another whole world of programing, which is beyond most to even comprehend

You also pointed out that X Y movements / spacing, which most here did not understand, that when I posted this, is an essential part of doing multiple parts
    Mactec54

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So what you are saying... Your help for a guy who knows nothing about cnc, could only be understood by someone who is a professional?

It's even more laughable when considering what I do for a living. I am one of them old school kinda dudes that can run what ever machine is in the shop. If I can not, I'll learn it as I go. Most folks call them people machinist.

Be it an old ass manual horiz or a modern cnc

You seem to be dead set on a pissing match. Is that a fragile ego or what?

Oh, and please, go back and point out exactly where I am ignorant in what I said about macro's? I do not mind being wrong. Thats how you learn. Wise macro man, please, go back and inform me. As I still believe I know enough to say what I said

Thats not true. Just opening and closing the door takes 5sec. On a 40 part set up thats 200 seconds. Multiplied across 2000 parts. Tool changes are saved it done right which are more seconds. It will not matter at all in a home shop. But it can mean millions of dollars in production.
    Hi...I don't think saving time that way is how it's done.........if you saved 10 minutes total after a couple,of days of production a glitch in the program or a tool breakage or reset would swallow all the time savings.

As far as the G54....55 or 56 is concerned, re-writing the code as I said is a tedious exercise unless the cut and paste is a viable solution.
    Ian.

When you make 5000 pieces a month, every month, of just one part, I know it's how you make money. Just changing the rack postions on that job saved 1 day a week. 8hr a week 52 weeks a year. This is a real job being done right now

Why would the prog glitch? Once it's proofed, theres no reason it would glitch. Prog do not change them selves

By all accounts programs do go funny for no apparent reason..........been noted here a few times.

BTW....what happens in the industrial sector has no meaning in this discussion.......certainly not for hand written G coding at the level I mentioned........anyone with problems writing G code ....like me.....and seeking answers will NOT find them in what happens in the outside world.,,,,we have to come down to Earth and walk the talk like a newcomer to really know what I'm getting at.

Specifically, it's how do you write a batch of code for multiple parts without having to write it again and again using G54 G55 and G56 etc. as the work holder or part position definer......which is necessary if you have multiple vices or fixtures that are not precisely positioned relative to one another.

So far I've said that a sub routine is out as it relies on having precisely located vices or fixtures to enable an X and Y move to work with the sub routine.

A macro is out too for the reasons mentioned previously.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    By all accounts programs do go funny for no apparent reason..........been noted here a few times.

BTW....what happens in the industrial sector has no meaning in this discussion.......certainly not for hand written G coding at the level I mentioned........anyone with problems writing G code ....like me.....and seeking answers will NOT find them in what happens in the outside world.,,,,we have to come down to Earth and walk the talk like a newcomer to really know what I'm getting at.

Specifically, it's how do you write a batch of code for multiple parts without having to write it again and again using G54 G55 and G56 etc. as the work holder or part position definer......which is necessary if you have multiple vices or fixtures that are not precisely positioned relative to one another.

So far I've said that a sub routine is out as it relies on having precisely located vices or fixtures to enable an X and Y move to work with the sub routine.

A macro is out too for the reasons mentioned previously.
    Ian.
    You where on the right track in your other posts, just cut and past, the original program, edit the offset you want to use, and set that X Y Part /Vice position in the control to match the offset in the program, nothing more to it, you can do this, go and experiment
    Mactec54

Hi Mac.......thanks....that's what I'll do as I can't see any other way....5 AM.....too late tonight to mess with the computer....tomorrow is another day.
    Ian.

I was never confused. You were wrong. Like everyone else mentioned. YOU WERE WRONG. Thats for them feelings you have
    We are still waiting for you example, to show that I was wrong, all you have done is make a fool of your self
    Mactec54

This thread is gonna get terminated with the kind of clap trap Orlando is spouting........if you have a difference of opinion be polite but more important BE SPECIFIC.....neither of which you have expressed.....wearing a size 20 hat doesn't make you a great guy, just a big head.....cut the crap, get back on course and post some constructive notes that pertain to the title of the thread.

So far the thread has posed 3 solutions to the multi position machining......for me the Macro method is out for obvious reasons and the sub routine too, which leaves the cut and paste in the program compilation stage in Notepad.

For what it's worth........unless you have more than a 100 parts to make all the same on a regular basis, doing them one by one in a single vice with G54 is probably the simplest way to go........ you won't have time between parts to pick your nose or make tea, but I had to know what it takes to do a multi operation to understand the method as it will come in handy.
    Ian.

Hi Mac.....just did some tests with simulated G code and the copy and paste function in Notepad.

The method works 100% as the attached file indicates.

I created a batch of simulated random code, not actual or real, just number sequences to do a test.

I first created the initial code sequence in Notepad and then highlighted it..... hit the edit function and then the copy.......important to have the curser on the start of the next line at the left side of the column number sequence as this is where the next code sequence will be placed.

I then hit the PASTE function highlighted with a press of the mouse right key button and the first section is pasted down after the first part......highlighting, copying and pasting a number of times makes more of the same down the line.

The last thing is to correct the column N number sequences to the next number down the line and insert at the respective position the G54 G55 and G56 as if it were the zero point of the next vice or tool fixture, having already set the G54 G55 and G56 offsets in Mach3 etc.

This is so simple and quick as it replicates any amount of code you create initially....... duplicating more for each subsequent work holder positions is easy without having to punch in all the code again and again.

BTW....my daughter who knows nothing about CNC gave me the heads up to create the cut, copy and paste function as I've never used it before.
    Ian.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 3 of 6 12345