587,722 active members*
3,556 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > So Far I've managed to Blow up 3 DYN4 drives - Please Critique my wiring..... HELP!!

Hybrid View

Re: So Far I've managed to Blow up 3 DYN4 drives - Please Critique my wiring..... HE

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I can't see where you have your supply power coming from but it does not look correct, the 240v supply you are not showing to have a Ground, wire with the R & S Plus Ground, this same supply should be going to the L1 and L2 through 2 fuses and the power filter

You should not be using 2 separate supplies from different sources, so if you have 240v coming in to your cabinet, and you want 120v you need to add a neutral wire with that 240v supply, so your input power to your cabinet should have 4 wires, 2 Hot a neutral and a Ground wire

also ---

the second drive i blew up --- i had 110volts off my power bar and was also feeding the power side 110volts from the power bar

so im trying to figure out if this was really the cause of the drive explosions

Re: So Far I've managed to Blow up 3 DYN4 drives - Please Critique my wiring..... HE

Quote Originally Posted by GM1G View Post
    also ---

the second drive i blew up --- i had 110volts off my power bar and was also feeding the power side 110volts from the power bar

so im trying to figure out if this was really the cause of the drive explosions
    The first question is do you have a ( MCCB ) Breaker or fuses for the main Drive supply 120v or the 240 volt supply, for the Drives, you then you need a fuse for L1 and L2 if using 240v only ( 1 ) fuse if using 120v, if there was a fault somewhere then the fuse would blow, and not the Drive

You have everything mount on a none metallic back plane, or is that painted metal plate, this is not a good idea, if it is none metallic, if the drives where mounted on a metal back plane, like aluminum, then that would of been Grounded to your main Ground

You have to show some photos of the main power supply coming into your cabinet, and where it goes from that point

Your wiring just does not look correct
    Mactec54