587,424 active members*
3,584 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > '98 Haas VF-E spindle lost power now getting alarm 116

'98 Haas VF-E spindle lost power now getting alarm 116

Yesterday I was running my edge finder at about 1000rpm when the spindle just slowly stopped spinning. I tried turning the spindle back on and got nothing. Restarted the machine and during the start up when it got to the tool change it tried to do the tool change and errored out with a 116 alarm. You could see the spindle try to rotate a couple times then it just would alarm.

I read a thread saying it could be the belt. I pulled off the spindle cover and when peaking through the top of the spindle housing, I can see the belt (it actually looks like two belts stacked on top of each other). They appear to be fine. When I spin the spindle by hand I can see the belts turning.

Not sure where to look next. I tried the start up again and it seems that there is no power going to the motor.

Any help to point me in the right direction on this would be much appreciated!

-Tyler

Re: '98 Haas VF-E spindle lost power now getting alarm 116

Check the spindle drive for errors and correct voltage.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I checked the spindle drive and it isn't showing any errors. When I turn the spindle on the drive clicks and shows a frequency, but spindle doesn't spin....

Okay, so disregard my post on no errors. This is my first time working with a motor drive, so didn't know where to look initially. Found the manual and have been doing some digging. I found the fault history and it has 4 faults.

Fault Message 4 -> Output Pha Loss -> Fault guide says problem in GPD 515-to-motor wiring. So I guess I'm looking for a short or a broken wire?
    Fault Message 3-> External fault 4 -> "temporary ramp to stop". my guess is this is due to the above fault
    Fault Message 2-> Motor Overloaded-> Motor thermal overload has tripped. Is this also related to fault message 4? or is this a separate issue that needs to be addressed?
    Last Fault -> External fault 4

So based on these faults, is this something that a novice to Haas repair could address? Or should I be calling the repair guy?

Thanks for your help!

Tyler

Ground wires on the motor side seemed a little loose. I disconnected them and retightened. Restarted the machine and still nothing... does the motor drive auto reset (i.e. if the fault is fixed, will everything start working)? Or does the drive have to be manually reset to clear the fault codes? I can't find anything that says one way or the other.

Does is rock cw/ccw about a 1/2" about a dozen times, then alarms 116?

Initially it did try to rock back and forth a few times. I wasnt counting so I'm not sure how many. Now it doesn't do anything it just sits there for a bit and then alarms out 116

measured voltage to the drive. L1 is 120V, L2 is 120V, L3 is 213V. L1 to L2 is 242, L2 to L3 is 243, and L1 to L3 is 245.

Update: Just got off the phone with the service tech. Looks like the spindle drive is no good. He had me measure the output voltage with the spindle on and there was no output voltage. Looks like it is time for a drive rebuild