587,782 active members*
2,790 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need input for spindle idea

I am thinking about an MPCNC based design for my shop. I build fretted instruments. I would like to be able to cut fret slots into fretboards. I curently cut fret slots with a radial arm saw equipped with a 6" jewelers saw circular blade that has a 1" bore and use an adapter for the 5/8" shaft. Anyone have experience mounting a horizontal shaft spindle onto their z-axis? Any other suggestions as to how I can cut 0.022" slots into dense woods with some other spindle/cutter?

Thanks for your input!

Kerry

Re: Need input for spindle idea

I build guitars too but use StewMac's fret slotting mitre saw. I know you probably know this, but most folks just use a bit that's about the size of fret slots. Here's a YouTube demo...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQXrxskKa0M

I build guitars, ukuleles and Cigar box guitars. I use bits from here: Carbide 3-flute Fret Cutters and Hardwood Inlay Pocketing tools

You can get spindle assemblies that take saw heads. Here is one example of these heads: Techniks High Performance Aggregate Heads for CNC Routers. For some reason the industry refers to these as "Aggregates" heads. This is another web site: ekstromcarlson.com/ Heres is a vendor PDF:http://www.napgladu.com/downloads/ca...gate_Heads.pdf. Frankly there re many manufactures of such tooling for mill and router spindles. Sawing is a common operation but in your case I'm not sure a saw arbor is the best solution you might be better off with an ER collet solution that has an arbor designed to support your saws well. Also most of these designs are for machines with ISO taper spindles you may have to look around a bit to find something for an ER spindle.

In any event now that we have established that what you want is out there the question then becomes are you willing to pay for it. That might not be as easy as you would want. Exactly one came up on E-Bay and they wanted 1000 dollars for it. The problem with mounting a router spindle side ways is that you now have the big router body to clear. So you are left with having to devise a custom solution maybe driven by a horizontal router. For light duty like this you might get away with a belt driven spindle. You could also try a right angle solution but getting gears to mesh properly at high speeds isn't an activity of beginners.

I'm actually thinking here that an AC motor, with an attachment to an offset spindle, would do the job though it still requires building customer hardware. I'm just not aware of any low end solutions out there right now. In any event try spending some quality Google time with terms like "router aggregate", "saw spindle", "mill aggregate" and the like. In any event what do you imagine is the horse power requirement here? I'm thinking 1/4 HP if you are only cutting a 0.020" slot but that could be far too little.

Or build a tilting attachment for the spindle you've got, and mount the sawblade on an arbor.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

If you're not cutting a ton of fretboards, then is makes more sense to cut them with a standard spindle and a small bit. If you cut more than that method will handle, then I'd look at a dedicated machine with a horizontal spindle.
    As Wizard says, most all spindle manufacturers make spindles with arbors for blades.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)