587,146 active members*
5,593 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: PCNC 1100 versus

"Plus, not having to bang on the drawbar to release the tool is probably much better for the spindle bearings."

Ok, I do know a bit about banging. I think I will add the PDB option up front.

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    I am quite impressed with IronCAD, but I know nothing about SprutCAM. I guess my question is if those three make a decent solution or are there others that I should be looking at?
    Go download Fusion360 (for free) from Autodesk. It contains HSMWorks, which is the best CAM software on the market. Can't beat the price: free until you start grossing $100K/year. Autodesk makes AutoCAD, so you know they are going to be around for awhile. Go to NYCCNC youtube page and watch his collection of Fusion360 vi

Also, any thing to add regarding ordering the PCNC 1100? I am going with the stand of course, and the 4th axis.
    Don't buy the 4th axis because you have some fuzzy idea of the coolness of milling and turning simultaneously. Only buy it if you can envision the exact product you will need it to produce. Many people buy the 4th axis and never really use it.

If you do buy a 4th axis, get the 6" one. The 8" one is too hard to install and remove without a crane.

auto drawbar option looks nice.
    Must have in my book. Save the ATC money and buy the RapidTurn (saying this based upon what you have discussed above). Personally, I am saving for a cnc lathe (but I have a nice manual lathe to keep me going).

I noticed a picture in the manual of 110 outlets on the back (for the coolant and PC I suppose). Are those fed from the 220v power input?
    The 1100 has both 220V in and 110V in. The auxiliary outlets are powered from the 110V cord.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I'll give Fusion a try. Regarding the 4th axis, I have drilling and tapping on both sides, as well as beveled corners, and thought that the 4th axis would be handy to flip the work over. But thinking about it some more, doing everything flat on the table will be more productive if I plan the workflow out. Thanks for the input.

The Tormach 4th axis lacks a controllable brake so using it to flip parts is not super rigid and may result in poorer than hoped surface finish.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The Tormach 4th axis lacks a controllable brake so using it to flip parts is not super rigid and may result in poorer than hoped surface finish.
    Are there other options? Manual rotary table? Or maybe the RapidTurn, if you just need 15 deg multiples?

I haven't been following what you want to make. If your widget will fit into a 5c collet then a 5c collet block in the vise or a spin index might be OK solutions which are more rigid and certainly far cheaper than the 4th axis. If you have more money, the InTurn (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdU2VD3UdVw) looks very nice and includes a brake but I haven't actually played with one. I've only used my 4th axis to make gears and such and it is fine for that.

I would buy the Tormach. I can't imagine competing with a manual mill. Without power draw bar on a 1100, you really don't need to bang on the draw bar to release collets. With that said I would still buy the PDB right away if you have work for the machine. I waited a while before finally buying it because I hate spending large sums of money in one go. When I finally did, I felt like a fool. I realized how much unnecessary misery I went through without it, only to end up spending the same amount of money as I would have if I bought it in the first place. Don't waste time trying to build one yourself. You can pay it off just making a few parts. I use my 1100 for prototyping and short run parts so I can never see myself investing in the ATC.

The 4th and 5th axis stuff is only in Fusion 360 ultimate, the standard version is only 3 axis There is a wrapping function that may work with the standard version it has not been test yet
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    The 4th and 5th axis stuff is only in Fusion 360 ultimate, the standard version is only 3 axis There is a wrapping function that may work with the standard version it has not been test yet
    Ultimate is free for educational, hobbyist, and < $100k shops isn't it?

startup as well.
    It's free for 30 days then you select what you are Hobby, Startup, Education (teacher and student) this lot is free.

Otherwise $300 us A year for standard what is 3 axis only (it was hard to get that answer) or Ultimate $1500 us A year what Hobby, startup or Education get to use.

the differences is here Fusion 360 Subscription | Buy Fusion CAD/CAM Design Software | Autodesk and here https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...mber-2016.html

startup is total income under 100k, education when you are doing it + 3 years from sign up, Hobby well if you are make a 100k that's not a hobby that's fun.

for what it is it's cheap
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OK, could have sworn I saw somewhere on an F360 site that Ultimate is still free for startups.

Which coolant system is preferable? I will be milling aluminum (6061), no steel, some light facing (< 0.10" doc), drilling,deffinitely some shelling. I will be using it to make the same 6 to 8 parts over and over. When you buy the stand it comes with the flood coolant system, so I guess my choice is already made. Is the fog system geared more towards steel?

Is anyone using the RapidTurn?

Page 2 of 2 12