587,131 active members*
3,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 38 of 40 283637383940

Re: Any experiences with CNC 6040 ROUTER?

I'm also working on connecting up my limit switches. I'm using Mach3 and the Gecko G540. The plan is to have 6 limit switches and to use 3 of these as home switches. So I'll use up 1 slot on the Gecko for the limit switches I'll connect them up in series and then also connect 3 of these as an input for the home switches in series to a second Gecko input slot. I just wanted to confirm that this is going to work and I'm not overlooking anything.

Fusion 360 sounds like a good program, will have to find time to test it out in that case.

It's been a while since I did that, but I think all the limits can be in series to one input pin. The homing will still work, as you set the homing direction in config. Usually Z+ is homed first, to clear anything on the table.

Hi there ! I'm new here and have read this interesting thread. I'm planning to buy a 6040 Router but i'm missing a bit of space for a machine like this i wouldn't use every day. i'm curious to know your feedback about this: Is it possible for you to store the 6040 vertically (or on its side) when not in use ? or do you think that could deform the machine under its own weight and make it less accuracy ? (as it's apparently still a bit heavy)
    Thanks for your answers.
    Best.
    Sylvain

Quote Originally Posted by sgenevay View Post
    Hi there ! I'm new here and have read this interesting thread. I'm planning to buy a 6040 Router but i'm missing a bit of space for a machine like this i wouldn't use every day. i'm curious to know your feedback about this: Is it possible for you to store the 6040 vertically (or on its side) when not in use ? or do you think that could deform the machine under its own weight and make it less accuracy ? (as it's apparently still a bit heavy)
    Thanks for your answers.
    Best.
    Sylvain
    If I'm not mistaken, the machine weighs 55kg, it's too heavy to move by yourself. So the other question is whether you have someone else handy to help moving it. As for storing vertically, hmm there's a bolt at one end and a stepper at the other so if you turn it on its side length wise you will be putting all the weight on the axis or the stepper. If you turn it on its side width wise you will be restng it on the gantry which is not ideal, so the only real option I think is to rest it on an angle i.e. one end in the air the other resting on the feet but then comes the question of how much space this will save.

Thx for your fast answer. If i place two pieces of wood under to protect axes i can put it on its side. the question is would it damage the structure or damage the settings of the 6040...

no matter what way you put it other than the way it was made to sit you will be putting stress on a joint or component that was not made to do that and you will damage it

the only way i can think of doing it is to mount it on a heavy board and hang it from the roof with a winch and 4 cables and just lift it up when not in use

Quote Originally Posted by sgenevay View Post
    Thx for your fast answer. If i place two pieces of wood under to protect axes i can put it on its side. the question is would it damage the structure or damage the settings of the 6040...
    That's not a bad idea, to be honest they are quite sturdy but thinking about it some more, the gantry will be hangling in the air and not supported the way it was designed, so that's the only area that I would be worried about. Hard to say if it will damage it to be honest. I think if you move the gantry all the way to the end of its movement, then it should be fine, then it will be supported better, won't be hanging off the rails (as in the first pic). The problem then becomes the spindle overhangs the end of the machine, so your suggestion of placing some wooden supports pretty much a must.

But again, the gantry will be sticking out, so you'll be saving not a lot of space. Plus the hassle of setting it up. Can be done, just not ideal I suppose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161112_191234_1478938487528.jpg   20161112_191247_1478938487726.jpg  

I wouldn't consider hanging it to be any sort of good option. It would put tremendous strain on the gantry and bearings long term, as the gantry will be left hanging off the rails instead of applying downwards force as it should, and so would increase any play over time.

As another pointed out, lifting the entire machine up would be the far better option.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Thx for all your answers. So thinking well.... I think i will put some weeks under inc support to push it in a wall cupboard when it's not used. just have to find a place but my dear wife accepted to make some room somewhere... so ... anyway thanks for all your answers. really appreciate.
    Sylvain

by the way a 6040 isnt 600mm x 400mm

its ment to be 600mm x 400mm work area but its not its at most 550mm x 330mm and the unit is(with the steppers sticking out) about 750mm x 520mm allowing a small bit of room to get your hand down around it to do stuff

Mine is larger. 34"x 26", about 870mm x 670mm. This includes the stepper motors. I have it on top of a black Harbor Freight roll around tool cart with drawers for tool storage. There is a space under the lid that could be used to house the electronics. The computer would have to be somewhere else, though. It could be stored in a closet.
    Roller cabinet mounting allows it to be moved to a work area that is not noise or debris sensitive. Imaging moving it to a driveway for cutting operations and clean up with a yard blower!
    It would be possible to permanently mount the machine vertically, and would present a few advantages and a few problems. The chips would tend to fall away from the work, but I can see it being a pain to mount the stock. Maybe this would be good for a vacuum table to hold the stock.

i am considering buying a cnc router in the new year (just bought a co2 laser machine and currently working to learn that at the moment), ive read mot of this thread and from what i can tell the controllers are still not that good, if were to get a 6090 size machine is it the same issues but just with a larger bed size

im thinking of this machine

UK RS6090D CNC Machine Desktop 600x900 Cutting Router Cutter Engraving Milling | eBay

thanks in advance

ok i found a way to finally to store it once on a wheels set. so i ordered the 6040 but only the frame as i saw there were divergent feedback concerning the controller. I'm planning to mill Aluminium and i'm a bit lost with steppers torque.... is 3Nm enough for this machine to mill aluminium ? cause i found this set here:
    4 Axis 3Nm(425oz.in) Nema 23 Stepper Motor & M542T Driver Kit|DE114|4 Axis CNC Kits
    with this breakout board:
    5 Axis CNC Breakout Board Interface For Stepper Motor Driver ST-V2 - ?

Do you think guys this is good material ?
    strong enough to mill aluminium ?
    Do i need something else to make the inc working ? (i understood i need only power supply, steppers, stepper drivers, and breakout board.... tell me know if i forget something )

Thanks a lot for your help. really appreciate it as i'm a bit lost.
    Best.
    Sylvain

What about motor couplers? Or a parallel cable?

u mean parallel cable for pc link ? usb is not enough ? i need a parallel also ?
    concerning the coupler i was planning to take flexible couplers as i saw it seems difficult to have a perfect shaft alignement....
    would be something like this https://fr.aliexpress.com/store/prod...996616063.html but i don't know the 6040 shaft size yet so....
    The thing is are those steppers already good enough (as they seem to be at the end of stock) and is this set enough to mill aluminium ? .... and i don't understand why the power supply is not covering the 4 steppers total current...

From your link: "parallel-control CNC software". Mach 3 is not usb ready, but can be used with an adapter, like a uc100.https://cnc4pc.com/motion-control/mo...oller-941.html
    The motor will probably be fine. more later...

ok i didn't know about the mach3 usb thing ... maybe i can simply add a parallel port on the pc also then.... i'm more used to mac that's why i'm bit lost of parallel eheh

The good news is it doesn't take much of a computer to run Mach3, people usually have one in a closet that's fine. Most computers have parallel ports, but newer ones just don't have the plug. There is likely a motherboard set of pins that just need an adapter to the card slot. Push come to shove, you can always add a parallel port card, provided you have a vacant card slot.
    Those couplers look fine, just make sure they are the right size to fit the shafts.

or if u have other idea for breakout board or controller.... i take all informations !!
    in fact i'm totally lost concerning this part so i don't know what will work the best

ok received the 6040 frame today... can't wait to make it work !!!! but i still have a lot to learn before
    only one thing, i'm afraid of room that stepper will take... too bad that 90° angle coupler doesn't exist that would have help to save room

Page 38 of 40 283637383940