588,107 active members*
5,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Clear path servos

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Tormach powers the stepper from a 48VDC power supply. But that would have to be upgraded, since it probably doesn't have a high enough current rating.

The upgrade wouldn't be quite so expensive if you just did it to the X&Y axis.

I don't think you truly get all the real benefits of a system designed with a servo motion controller, but you would get faster rapids and cutting speeds.
    I'm still pretty new to a lot of this stuff but couldn't you upgrade to a 75vdc power supply pretty easy? Couldn't you speed up your Rapids that way? From what I've read most steppers that size can Handle 75vdc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelleknives View Post
    I'm still pretty new to a lot of this stuff but couldn't you upgrade to a 75vdc power supply pretty easy? Couldn't you speed up your Rapids that way? From what I've read most steppers that size can Handle 75vdc.

No, that is completely false. For steppers, optimal voltage is a function of the coil inductance. Arbitrarily increasing voltage will likely result in motor heating, and likely damage to the drivers, unless they are spec'd for the higher voltage. With servos, reduced voltage (i.e. - running the motors at 48V when they're spec'd for 75V) will result in proportionally reduced maximum speed. Even if the voltage were correct, it's not at all likely the stepper power supplies would provide the additional current necessary for the increased torque that is required to be able to increase the performance.

Also, torque ratings between steppers and servos are not remotely the same - the specs have completely different meanings. And, steppers and servos have completely different torque/speed characteristics. So, selecting a servo motor based on the corresponding stepper torque rating will surely result in disappointment, unless the differences are well understood, and factored into the decision. The ONLY way to properly size any drive system is by measuring the actual machine requirements, and doing the math, based on the targeted performance. Guessing rarely turns out well, and is exactly why so many home-build machines turn out to be such disappointments.

As for the idea of "upgrading" only X/Y, that would be foolish. First, many Mach3 version simply do no work correctly when the X axis torque/acceleration performance differs significantly from the X/Y performance. I'm sure this is not a problem with PathPilot. However, on any move involving the Z axis, ALL axes will be slowed down to the performance of the Z axis. For 3D profiling, this would mean almost no improvement in performance on most operations.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    First, many Mach3 version simply do no work correctly when the X axis torque/acceleration performance differs significantly from the X/Y performance. I'm sure this is not a problem with PathPilot. However, on any move involving the Z axis, ALL axes will be slowed down to the performance of the Z axis. For 3D profiling, this would mean almost no improvement in performance on most operations..
    Well we are talking about Tormachs with path pilot.

Since z axis movement is largely nonexistent during most cutting, having it slower will not significantly reduce overall cutting time. Most CAM strategies (unless maybe you are mold making) do the cuts on the same Z plane, and only step up or down in z-axis at the beginning of running the next path.

During most cnc cutting (except maybe mold making), the X &Y axis move tens of inches for every 1" of movement of the z-axis.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Well we are talking about Tormachs with path pilot.

Since z axis movement is largely nonexistent during most cutting, having it slower will not significantly reduce overall cutting time. Most CAM strategies (unless maybe you are mold making) do the cuts on the same Z plane, and only step up or down in z-axis at the beginning of running the next path.

During most cnc cutting (except maybe mold making), the X &Y axis move tens of inches for every 1" of movement of the z-axis.
    I was largely just looking to speed up the rapids, Unfortunately you can't really speed up the cut feed because of the spindle limitations, for plastics you might be able to go 150ipm but much more than that and the RPM's will be a big problem.

I was largely just looking to speed up the rapids, Unfortunately you can't really speed up the cut feed because of the spindle limitations, for plastics you might be able to go 150ipm but much more than that and the RPM's will be a big problem.
    Spending $2500 to do nothing more than speed up rapids makes no sense to me, unless you're doing a lot of HSM toolpaths, especially 3D, where the repositioning moves can significantly increase program run times if rapids are slow.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Well we are talking about Tormachs with path pilot..
    The OP has said nothing about Path Pilot, and Tormach has used several different versions of Mach3, some of which may well have the bug I referred to.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    The OP has said nothing about Path Pilot,
    He has PathPilot. He shows it is a couple of his videos.
    Tim

He has PathPilot. He shows it is a couple of his videos.
    I didn't specify, but I do use PP.

I didn't specify, but I do use PP.
    Nice job on your vacuum pallet changer, btw. A piece of art.
    Tim