587,193 active members*
2,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

jpg to dxf conversion

i have mach 3, sheetcam,and bobcad but i can't seem to figure out how to get a jpg image such as a font or picture converted to dxf so that i can work with it HELP!!!

you either need bobart to do that in bobcad or you need something like Corel Draw graphics X3 which you can down demos of to try open a new file and import image into corel and save as dxf. Corel will let you save but bobart demo will not if you want post a jpeg and I'll do a quick conversion to show you
    If your using a font and download Corel Graghic x3 one of the programs is called Bitstream Font Navigator. With this you van load font into Bobcad and use as text and then vectorize it. That what I do anyways.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

First important thing is to understand the difference in a bitmap and a vector file. Bitmaps are just dots on a screen or printed page. Linear motion machines don't cut dots very well (photoengraving an exception). Consider in a medium resolution (150DPI) B&W photo (bitmap) of say 4" square you can have 360,000 descrete "dots". CNC machines want nice connected lines and closed "objects".

There is no "Easy Button". Some auto trace programs (wintopo, Corel Trace, etc) can do pretty good if the bitmap is high resolution, clean and not too complex. Other times you get files that take hours to clean up or cut. JPegs are especially a challenge since they "smudge" hard lines and use lots of colors to trick the human eye. Most JPEGS are compressed and don't convert worth spit. The normal web resolution of 72 DPI looks like Lego blocks when you blow it up and the resulting auto-trance looks like an etch-a-sketch drawing.

Good clean cuts come from good clean vector artwork. For a wide array of vector clipart see the Mega Collections at www.vectorart.com. Ready to cut vector files but they are in AI and EPS format (very common formats in the decorative cutting/ Sign shop world) BobCad won't import EPS or AI. You will need to import it into a Drawing package like Corel and either take it directly to SheetCAM via the DXF or PLT export or go through an extra redundant step and bring it into BobCAD.

jlenelms,
    try an open source program called Inkscape at http://inkscape.org/
    It has one of the cleanest trace features I've seen. It won't be the answer to everything, but its a powerful trace feature.

Don't waste your time with a jpeg image.

I've been working on my own software, and you would not believe the diff. between a Bmp & Jpeg. Start with a BMP.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    jlenelms,
    try an open source program called Inkscape at http://inkscape.org/
    It has one of the cleanest trace features I've seen. It won't be the answer to everything, but its a powerful trace feature.
    Ditto, the InkScape recommendation. CorelDraw X3 works fairly well, too, after fiddling with the settings. Costs a whole lot more than InkScape, though!
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

...Donald/ HayTay

I have been playing with Inkscape but cannot save a DXF,. When I go to Save as i get options like *.svg, eps and so on but never a DXF.

Could you point me along the path to getting the DXF option,

Many thanks David

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    ...Donald/ HayTay

I have been playing with Inkscape but cannot save a DXF,. When I go to Save as i get options like *.svg, eps and so on but never a DXF.

Could you point me along the path to getting the DXF option,

Many thanks David
    Click on 'File', then 'Save As'. At the file type box click the 'Down Arrow' and select 'Desktop Cutting Plotter (*.DXF)' as the output type. Type in a file 'Name' then click on 'Save'. That's all there should be to it. BTW, I'm using Inkscape 0.44, built Jun 23 2006.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails InkScape File Types.jpg  
    HayTay

That is the answer!

Many thanks

I was using version .43. and have just updated.

thanks again

David

Just want to say Hi.
    I am new to this site and a whole lot of great people..
    Many thanks....

Great information. More tools for the toolbox
    Wayne Hill

Still struggling with this inkscape.
    All threads I've searched everyone is singing the praises of Inkscape. i cannot get anything useable to export as DXF. The best i can get is fragments , maybe 10% of a test logo. Usually a load of lines and dots thrown at the screen.

This is what I have got

Open file
    select it
    path
    trace
    brightness threshold
    preview (looks positive)
    OK
    Drag it off the original

delete the original
    object
    fill-stroke
    no fill
    stroke THIS IS WHERE I THINK IM LOOSING MY WAY
    save as dxf

open it in a DXF editor and it is just recycle it for the 100th time.

any help to progress this greatly appreciated

David

I thought I read in another thread that the Windows version of Inkscape does not have the same .dxf export as the linux version. Meaning it doesn't work very well.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

...any other experience of this 'problem'?

Am I trying for something that doesnt work?

TIA

I went lookin' for a copy of the ver 0.4 like HayTay mentioned. Came across this note:

An output format for desktop cutting plotters, such as the Wishblade and Craftrobo, was added. This format is a very minimalist DXF file with appropriate scaling and translation applied. This output format should not be expected to operate as a generalized DXF output.

I couldn't get it to work either - Bummer.

That was burried in the release notes for ver 0.44 http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/ReleaseNotes044
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

I think we can agree that Inkscape it not the tool for this job, that is converting/tracing bmp's to dxf's.
    Back to the drawing board

Thanks for now

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    I think we can agree that Inkscape it not the tool for this job, that is converting/tracing bmp's to dxf's.
    Back to the drawing board

Thanks for now
    Out of curiosity, can you share with us the graphic that you're trying to trace?

Just trying to help,
    HayTay

I've uploaded an image, this is typical of what I am trying to engrave/mill.

If I can get an outline then I can hatch/pocket the black or white bits to achieve a result.

Test image HERE

Thanks for the interest

Is this what you're looking for???? Wintopo, just downloaded it a few minutes ago. Nice free program.
    Bill
    Attached Files Attached Files
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Page 1 of 2 12