I don't want anyone who doesn't know electricity to get confused so let me clarify. As you will read in the original post, I do NOT have a neutral wire hooked up to anything, so no, my vfd is in no danger. But yes, 220 does have a neutral wire. Sometimes it also has a ground wire, and sometimes the ground is carried by the neutral wire. If you're using single phase 220 3 wire like I am, you will have what I explained in the original post. 3 wires coming to socket in wall. Red, black, and white. Red and black are live, and white is neutral and ground. Don't believe me, follow it back to the distribution box where you see that white wire screws in to the terminal strip carrying the ground bus. If you have 4 wire 220 such as in a dryer, you will have a white wire and a green wire. Either way, doesn't matter as we are not hooking up the neutral line to the power input. We can use that white wire as the ground though, as long as you check your distribution box and make sure white is ground as well as neutral. Depends on year your electric was put in.

As for the spindle, grounding the shield at the vfd end is fne. You have the 3 wires carrying signal, and one wire carrying ground. The ground wire hooks up to "e" at the vfd, and the 4th pin at the spindle. Like we just talked about, it's grounded at the "E" end. Wheb people talk about grounding at both ends, I think they really mean connecting at both ends.

Don't over complicate and end up making ground loops. 2 live wires to "R+T", Earth wire to "E", and then "UVX, and E" to 1234 on the spindle.

Done

It's not magic or luck that this works flawlessly for me, it's simple electronics. More than one ground point makes for great opportunity for ground loops.

In the future, if anyone has any questions please ask. Just posting "that will blow up your vfd" I'm sure is confusing, especially to someone following the simple directions who's vfd is running just fine. Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
220/240v is ( 2 Hot wires and a Ground, you do not have a Neutral involved with 220/240 volt for NA, So if you have connected a Neutral wire you can expect to have some damage to your VFD, and a white wire can not be used as a Ground wire unless it's color has been changed to Green and is connected to Ground

So to your VFD you should have the input power connected to the R and T terminals, and the Ground wire connected to the E Terminal if not you will have problems

A Spindle Ground wire is needed so you need to connect another Ground wire to the VFD E terminal and connect to the best place you can on your spindle, this is a must have

Your shielded cable should be terminated at both ends as per snip below