Mike, sounds like you got a good deal. I have used a G0704 and they are nice machines but I can assure you that the RF45 type machines are much more capable. You will not be disappointed. Is the machine you purchased one of the newer ENCO models with blue paint or one of the older grey ones? The blue ones seem to have better fit and finish.

109jb, you make some good points there. You are right that the struts will likely require periodic replacement, but they are actually very easy to get in and out of the column, however I do have a hole in the table which helps.

I have been spending most of my time on the conversion and actually have the Z-axis operational, though not quite finished. To install the struts I raised the head to the absolute max and then slipped the strut in place and marked how much length needed to be removed for the rod end of the strut for it to just slip over the ledge in the casting. This ended up being around 3/8" which I parted off on the lathe. I then slipped the struts in place and positioned the lower end so they would bear as I liked on the casting. I then lowered the head about .1" to put the struts in compression and adjusted the limits so I would not accidentally move up so far that they would come loose. I was planning on putting a dimple for the ends of the struts to rest in as you mentioned, but even my small right angle drill can't get in there to make it, and with my limited testing it does not seem like the ends of the struts are going to go anywhere.

When the time comes to replace the struts all I have to do is override my limit and move the head up until the struts are free and slip the new ones in. I certainly had my doubts about having the struts in the column but so far it looks like it will work OK.

I guess I should have checked here earlier! I just finished drilling and tapping the holes for the Y-axis ballscrew bearing in the base casting. Access is a little tight but I have a good sized hole in the stand which helps a lot. Maintenance will be more difficult, but hopefully it won't require as much since it won't be exposed to coolant and chips.

Here is the large access hole in the base. Plenty of room to work here!

Thanks for the replies! It is greatly appreciated.
I'll see if I can get caught up on post tonight.

Kurt