588,655 active members*
6,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > RF-45 Clone Mill > ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC

Hybrid View

Re: ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC

Your CAD model is looking good.
    You probably only need 1 strut if your intent is to keep the head from falling when powered off. These dovetail columns have alot more friction than you think, especially due to the cantilevered mass of the head. My IH clone doesn't fall with power off (5tpi ball screw) and I do not have any gas struts. If I loosen the gibs and press down on the head I can make it fall but barely..
    Also, to keep the bottom end of the strut from walking around, why not put in a thin plate with a hole to locate the strut, with the outer edges of the plate constraining it inside the column?
    For the Y axis - check that the ballnut isn't going to restrict the movement of the saddle away from the column. I recall having to open up that little bit at the front of the base to get even front / rear travel with the ballscrew in place. The ballnut is larger than the original bit from there.
    Attachment 347182

Mike

Re: ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC

Here are some more CAD screen shots.

General view of the X-axis ballnut mount. Note the four tapped holes in the front of the base casting which are for mounting the Y-axis ballscrew bearing.

Underside of table showing method of mounting X-axis end bearing and slots in saddle for allowing some transverse adjustability of the ballnut mount.

Tapped thru holes in end of table pockets for mounting end bearing. I would like to avoid these but they are neat so don't bother me to much.

Some details of the Z-axis parts.

I'll be putting all of the CAD files in this Google Drive folder in the next few days.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...1k?usp=sharing

Thanks for looking!
    Kurt