588,658 active members*
5,966 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Superfly -vs- 38mm TTS facemill

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    John at NYCNC posted a video yesterday where he is pushing the superfly pretty hard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMbjj5qsGp8 go to 9:14 to see the superfly in use.
    A multi insert facemill will not be able to remove metal any faster on a 1.5hp machine.
    I personally don't push it that hard and use my insert EMs for roughing.
    What kind of insert em's do you have, how do you like them? I'm thinking about trying a 3/8in if I can find one, preferably single insert..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    What kind of insert em's do you have, how do you like them? I'm thinking about trying a 3/8in if I can find one, preferably single insert..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I have Tormach's modular insert setup with the 25mm Centercutting EM and 25mm Toroid EM. Short and Medium length holders. Both of these work great. The centercutting EM is my goto tool for roughing aluminum. Toroid is great for finishing flat surfaces and pocket floors that need a corner radius.

I also have the same setup in the smaller size, 17mm Centercutting EM and 16mm Toroid EM. The 17mm EM works good but is not very robust. I had a part pull out of a fixture (my fault), the inserts broke as expected but the tool was destroyed as well. The land for the horizontal insert was bent so the insert won't sit correctly. I bought a second one and a few weeks ago it also failed. This one was not my fault, no part pullout, it just snapped off at the base of the thread. It had started rattling, not chatter, and about 20 seconds later it went "clunk" and I found the endmill sitting on top of the part, holder still in the spindle with the twisted off thread in it. I will still use the first 17mm EM with just the vertical insert.

FYI, Shars sells a 3/8" single insert endmill.
    3/8" 90 Degree End Mill APKT Insert - Indexable Milling - Indexable Cutting - Products

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    I have Tormach's modular insert setup with the 25mm Centercutting EM and 25mm Toroid EM. Short and Medium length holders. Both of these work great. The centercutting EM is my goto tool for roughing aluminum. Toroid is great for finishing flat surfaces and pocket floors that need a corner radius.

I also have the same setup in the smaller size, 17mm Centercutting EM and 16mm Toroid EM. The 17mm EM works good but is not very robust. I had a part pull out of a fixture (my fault), the inserts broke as expected but the tool was destroyed as well. The land for the horizontal insert was bent so the insert won't sit correctly. I bought a second one and a few weeks ago it also failed. This one was not my fault, no part pullout, it just snapped off at the base of the thread. It had started rattling, not chatter, and about 20 seconds later it went "clunk" and I found the endmill sitting on top of the part, holder still in the spindle with the twisted off thread in it. I will still use the first 17mm EM with just the vertical insert.

FYI, Shars sells a 3/8" single insert endmill.
    3/8" 90 Degree End Mill APKT Insert - Indexable Milling - Indexable Cutting - Products
    I too have blown up 2 of the 17 mm centercutting EM's. They both failed at the threads at the slightest of mistakes (chatter from a loose fixture bolt and a bit aggressive WOC). I just don't think that the design has enough meat to be robust to the less than perfect programmer/set-up tactician LOL. The centercutting toroidal is tough and does a good job. I have a 25 mm centercutting EM, but am almost afraid to use it after losing the two 17mm versions. Still beat up on the superfly, but I always check ALL of the set-screws before every use.

You can't kill the 25mm centercutting EM with a Tormach. I've demonstrated that numerous times.