587,136 active members*
3,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: 6040T Upgrade with Gecko G540 or TinyG

Ok so after playing with the Router with the original equipment I ordered a Gecko G540 and 48V power supply from Homann Designs

Started the upgrade where I plan to add correct earthing and shielded but have come up with a few questions...

#1 The OE wiring used a "Common Choke" (wire wrapped around a ferrite donut) I ordered some shielded 4-core cable from Homann also which I planned to use to run the spindle but I cannot use the Choke with this cable.. But im guessing the shielded also negates the need for the choke?

#2 Not sure how to wire up the Spindle/VFD Do I run the Earth from the Spindle and the shield from the cable to the Earth on the VFD then a cable from that point to the Earth Star or do I run the Spindle Earth & Shield straight to the Earth Star and a cable from the VFD earth to the Star... or maybe another way? This pic should help explain...

#3 Expanding on that, Ive read a few sources that say to earth the shielding at both ends of a spindle supply cable? but things like Steppers and limit switches only at one end.

#4 The original wiring to the power supply had the "Live" from the mains connected to the "N" on the power supply and the "Neutral" from the mains connected to the "L" on the power supply... Which is ass about??? But im guessing being AC power it wouldn't really matter which way it runs? Ditto on the VFD AC power supply in?

#5 I was reading the Gecko Manual and it says "CAUTION! Never put a switch on the DC side of the power supply! This will damage, if not destroy, your drive due to a current inrush when the switch is first thrown"
    The OE wiring had a switch between the Power supply V+Out and the controller V+In... Which Im thinking Ill have to Delete and I would be best to wire the switch in between the Mains "L" and power supply "L" or would it be better to wire it between the "N"

I found this diagram useful when I was wiring up my Gecko: http://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf -- my setup does not have all those features.

Answering some of your questions:

1. I use the shielded cable with no choke
    2/3. Unfortunately my machine is elsewhere right now, and I don't recall -- I will have to check this weekend. I think I may have just connected the shield to the spindle body -- but maybe not.
    4. Might as well do it correctly, but I don't think it matters.
    5. I've used a 2-pole switch to switch Active and Neutral as my main on/off switch. My fuse and eStop both just switch Active.

In case you haven't already found it, this link to the G540 wiring from Homann is the way to go. ( a few minutes late it seems!)
    I replaced the crappy, unearthed cable on my 6040 with a heavy duty, 4 conductor, shielded cable and I've had no noise worries to date. I did replace the connector on the water cooled spindle with a better quality unit from Amphenol.

Although you've already decided, I'll add my vote for the G540. I have one installed on my 6040 as well as My X-Carve. Both running on Linuxcnc.

Ahh so thats what the female IEC plug is for.

Awesome guys cheers that pdf covers pretty much everything except connecting shielding but I think the right side of my diagram is correct after looking around the net abit more.

So made a start on upgrading the electronics.

Here is the kit from Homann Designs
    Attachment 351984

First I stripped out most of the old bits then cut some holes in the back panel to mount the Gecko and new plugs.
    Attachment 351986

Gecko Test fitted
    Attachment 351988

And finally for the day most of the box internals fitted and wired up... no relays or Gecko to VFD control wires.. Happy with manual control of the VFD for now.
    Attachment 351990

As you can see Ive created a Earth Star as part of one of the EMI filter studs as the mains earth connects to the EMI filter and to its frame... It all went pretty smoothly except I forgot that the Cooling fan on the case is 24V and it let out the smoke after turned the box on for a min to test.

Had abit of look on the net and not had any luck finding a 48volt fan?? Are they not common and I will have to look at stepping down the voltage? Ditto on the coolant pump

Looking good!
    When I built my controllers, I decided to add a couple of 12V fans blowing on the back of the G540. As I run a 48V supply, used a cheap ($4?) eBay DC-DC converter to provide the 12V. The 12V is also used to drive a solid state relay that controls either the spindle for my X-Carve ( this is just a Makita router) or the coolant pump for the water cooled spindle. The pump is a 240V, submersible aquarium pump.

I ended up ordering this: https://www.homanndesigns.com/index....products_id=75

48v to 12V converter with fans built in and bolts straight onto the gecko also has a 12V out to add another fan where the original was.

Quote Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
    I ended up ordering this: https://www.homanndesigns.com/index....products_id=75

48v to 12V converter with fans built in and bolts straight onto the gecko also has a 12V out to add another fan where the original was.
    I pretty much copied that when I built mine .

Page 2 of 2 12