587,735 active members*
2,834 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 45 3456715
    trust me, if it were big enough to do what i need to do i woulda already sold all my parts to get one... but alas it hasnt grown enough yet... altho i could sure use one for making pcb's and other stuff'ns
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

My first post here after lurking for a while. I just stumbled on to this thread and I have to say...

THIS THREAD IS KILLING ME!

I'm drooling all over my keyboard and my hands are shaking so badly I can't get my wallet out.

Eric, you truly are The Widgitmaster! That's not a router. It's a work of art. And as someone pointed out earlier, a well kept secret.

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    Would someone like to clean my shop! I can't see the floor!

Eric
    Can I keep anything I can sweep out?

(HA! I forgot why I wanted to finally post. )
    If I read correctly, you've got 5 Minis in work. How many have already been claimed? I want one so bad I can taste it, but Wifey says, "Hold out for the 12x12."

Steve (in The City That Never Was)

well now if you cant get your wallet out then you truely have a problem, and i dont think your gonna be able to push a mill out with a broom, no matter how determined you are !!! heheheh
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Cool

Well, it took a little time, but I did it!

I made the T-Nuts to go in the mounting plate on the Mini-Router, and drilled holes in the adapter clamp for the Dremel tool.

Two of the holes were inside the bore of the clamp, and I needed to make a sneaky drill to counterbore the holes so the head of the cap screw was below the bore surface!

I took an raunchy old HSS 1/4" jobbers drill, and spun the tip down on my surface grinder using a spin jig and a 1/4" 5C collet.

Then I took the same drill and ground the mid shank diameter to 1/8" so it would fit through the slot on top of the clamp!

Then I positioned it in the vise on my mill and used a regular drill chuck and put a nice counterbore inside the clamp!

I needed to use my ball-end hex screw drivers to get the little screws in on an angle to assemble this unit!

There is obviously a small oversight as to the size of the mounting plate on my Mini-Routers, it is about a 1/2" too narrow! I will be modifing my prints and include the design change in my next batch of Mini-Routers!

The whole clamp assembly is fastened to the Mini-Router with 6x 6-32 SHCS, and has two full width T-Nuts with extra tapped holes. The T-nuts were made out of 303-SS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0838.JPG   000_0839.JPG   000_0840.JPG   000_0842.JPG  

000_0841.JPG  

hehehe that bit modification looks like something i would try... but i woulda failed at it im sure... ive been known to cut flat wrenches off and grind the ends down thin to fit in some tight places... it sure is fun to take it back to sears and say, it wouldnt fit, so i made it fit... they never ask they just hand me a new one and say good day!

widgitmaster: you are able to do all of this with lathe, surface grinder and manual mill? any tutorials? summer courses perhaps?
    i really do admire your work
    most people relay on cad/cam software and cnc machinery to get the job done
    seeing someone who is able to do it by the old ways is inspiring
    sure - cnc speed up the process, but kills that magic involved

ReverseCounterbore

Hey Widgitmaster, Nice job on the home made counterbore. Just to let you know they make reversecounterbors which would of work nice and a little easier for you, but not as fun as making your own.
    On your router...do you use ball or slide linear bearings and where do you get them? I bought your acme screws from your ebay site, and I would like to say "Very Nice".

Vince

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vcooney View Post
    On your router...do you use ball or slide linear bearings and where do you get them?
    Thanks,

The X-Axis uses Thomson 1/2" round linear shafting with Super8 ball bushings.
    The Y-Axis uses Thomson 3/8" round linear shafting with custom fitted hard bronze bushings.
    The Z-Axis uses Thomson 1/4" round linear shafting with custom fitted hard bronze bushings.

I tried to make things strong, light, precision & as compact as possible for increased strength.

Eric

Cool

Current status of the 3 mini's & the 12x12

I figured if I move them to the Living Room, I'll get them done quicker!
    Or keep tripping over them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0843.JPG  

If I give you may email address, could you email me once you have finished a mini – I want one. I think a have some playing around money left (an agreement between my wife and I) and after spending a lot of time on this site, I think CNC would be an excellent next project and your Mini-mill is a good way to learn/start.

Jason

trip over the one farthest to the left...

Got dibs on the first 12x12.hehe..

b.

does this mean the dremel tool mount is finished? I guess I'll have to break out the ball end hex keys to get that mounted, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Could always replace with a hex head bolt I guess. easier to get a wrench in there than an allen wrench.
    www.bigbearcnc.com

Hi WidgitMaster,

Im new here today!

Just looking around for a new cnc router and noticed your work.

It looks really good, can i ask if you have any units made and for sale?

Also what software would you use? and what motors?

Please contact me on [email protected]

Cheers chris
    www.cdfracing.co.uk

I have one of his routers. I use the xylotex controller and motor combo from www.xylotex.com and I use Mach 2 software from www.artofcnc.com.
    www.bigbearcnc.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mwalach View Post
    does this mean the dremel tool mount is finished? I guess I'll have to break out the ball end hex keys to get that mounted, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Could always replace with a hex head bolt I guess. easier to get a wrench in there than an allen wrench.
    Finished?

Heck, its in the mail already Mike!

One aluminum clamp, nine stainless steel allen screws, two stainless t-slot nuts!

Custom made for the Dremel model 300!
    (The Dremel 390 needs a smaller diameter clamp)
    Eric

WOW!! That is awsome!! Your service is definitly top notch! I am glad I went with your product!
    :cheers:

Looking forward to making some parts with this machine. I am having my pre-engineering students design some stuff that I will attemt to cut out on the cnc. I am working on a grant proposal to buy a bigger cnc for my classroom, so this will be a good test. I figure if I make some parts on my own machine, I can better show what a cnc is capable of. I find that most people don't really get what it can do. They think of it as an engraver, but can't visualize the possibilities.

Anyway, Thanks again for the part, I really appreciate it. By the looks of this thread you wont have any trouble selling the 5 new mini-mills. Or the new 12" mill.

mw
    www.bigbearcnc.com

hmm pre engineering students??? you might wanna look into the DIY show tools and teniques... i just saw an epesode tonight of a shop bot cnc router at work.... while i dont necessarly agree with everything that david thiel sais on that show, i will say that it was a nice 10 min or so demo on cnc routers...

Cool

A little more progress!
    I got all the close tollerance bores done today!

Each block has three bores, one is clearance for the leadscrew, the other two are for the press-fit bronze bushings.
    I keep the center spacing within .0003, and the press fit diameters +0 -.0005
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0844.JPG   000_0845.JPG   000_0846.JPG  

Hey Widgetmaster
    Do you by chance sell your home made fly cutter?

we talking about bores the 12x12? guessing your talking more mini's or dremal mounts..hehe

b.

Page 5 of 45 3456715