587,691 active members*
3,539 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > RF-45 Clone Mill > I.H. Belt drive conversion spindle drive sleeve gear

Hybrid View

Re: I.H. Belt drive conversion spindle drive sleeve gear

Thanks cmnewComer and MikeC8, I ended up ordering the PO754057 from Grizzley to see if it's the correct for the I.H. everything points to it working but you never know until it's in hand. The measurements that cmnewcomer gave me seem spot on for as close as I could measure with the with the quick change setup on the top of the machine. I hope this does not have me down too long. One thing we all found out when building machines is that you need a CNC mill to build a CNC mill to make life easier. Is that what's called a catch 22? I'm really thinking of getting two 4" round aluminum slugs and two 2" aluminum slugs machine the grooves in each then match drilling them and using 5 grade 8 allen bolts and locktight to put them together. Taking a 4" slug and cutting down the one end to 2" seems like a garbage can full of scrap chips. Seems wasteful. Well first things first, see if the part fits the spindle. Again thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
    Thanks cmnewComer and MikeC8, I ended up ordering the PO754057 from Grizzley to see if it's the correct for the I.H. everything points to it working but you never know until it's in hand. The measurements that cmnewcomer gave me seem spot on for as close as I could measure with the with the quick change setup on the top of the machine. I hope this does not have me down too long. One thing we all found out when building machines is that you need a CNC mill to build a CNC mill to make life easier. Is that what's called a catch 22? I'm really thinking of getting two 4" round aluminum slugs and two 2" aluminum slugs machine the grooves in each then match drilling them and using 5 grade 8 allen bolts and locktight to put them together. Taking a 4" slug and cutting down the one end to 2" seems like a garbage can full of scrap chips. Seems wasteful. Well first things first, see if the part fits the spindle. Again thanks guys.
    I have a Grizzly, Enco, and Precision Mathews PM833t-t mill and all have the standard Taiwanese 28mm spindle key. I would be willing to bet that 99% of all the machines out there use this same key. You can Mill one yourself although the outside key will have a round versus flat edge however in my experience cutting my own keyways this has never been a factor In reliability of keyway. You could make one on a rotary table and use an old spindle or measure carefully off your existing one. Why IH or Zay would make them larger is beyond me i see no benefit in doing so other than making other parts incapable of interchanging.