587,744 active members*
3,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > 3D foamy airplanes cut with the CNC

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by cbass View Post
    One question,

What kind of foam are you guys using? I have tried the blue and the pink kinds that you find in hardware stores. Are there other kinds better suited to machining?

The Pink is hard, and not very dense. It cuts fine with regular carbide mills.

The blue seems softer, yet denser, and is more finicky. It tends to shred (leaves a shaggy form of loose material behind). I used a toolpath option that combines upward and conventional milling. I noticed that shredding only occurs in one of the two directions so going with either upward OR conventional milling is probably the answer. I guess trial and error will help me figure out which is better.

BTW, I was running this at 4000 RPM (the limit on my knee mill), so melting wasn't a problem for me.

Carlo
    I have seen a lot of people use Depron Foam, Ive seen it for mail order, but im not sure what kind of store would have it locally, Maybe someone else will know.
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRob View Post
    I have seen a lot of people use Depron Foam, Ive seen it for mail order, but im not sure what kind of store would have it locally, Maybe someone else will know.
    I think depron maybe the insulation kind you are already using. I will see if I can find the name of the other kind im thinking of.
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I think depron maybe the insulation kind you are already using. I will see if I can find the name of the other kind im thinking of.

Well maybe it is depron, after looking I believe the other(blue and pink) is fan fold foam.
    Robbie

HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Well maybe it is depron, after looking I believe the other(blue and pink) is fan fold foam.
    That does look more or less like what I've used, only the stuff I use comes in 3/4, 1, 1.5 2, and I believe 3 inch thicknesses. 2x10 ft sheets. Its sold as insulation I think.

I just looked at it and it says its made by DOW and they call it Extruded Foam Insulation. It also says "Styrofoam".

http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/what.htm

Carlo