588,342 active members*
5,092 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynomotion/Kflop/Kanalog > KmotionCNC... Did the windows 10 update kill you?

Hybrid View

Re: KmotionCNC... Did the windows 10 update kill you?

Hi MadTooler,

KMotionCNC/KFLOP should work with W10 and latest updates. I'm not sure what the issue is with your system. I wouldn't recommend turning off Windows Updates. Only defer them to a time between Jobs. Of course we have no control over what Microsoft does.

It isn't clear to me from your description what is happening. Can you go step-by-step and tell us what is happening? Are the drivers loaded in Device Manager when KFLOP is connected? Does KMotionCNC run? Connect? Is Windows really crashing? Blue Screen? Or locks up?

It should be theoretically impossible for any Application (ie KMotionCNC) to crash Windows. So more likely it is a USB Driver issue with your system.

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Re: KmotionCNC... Did the windows 10 update kill you?

Tom,

The system is the same as noted earlier in this thread, along with the same series of events. Here it is again:

Boot up win 10
    Power up Kflop with the snapamp and wait a moment to give it a chance to boot
    Plug in USB cable and wait for windows to recognize (yes it does show connected in device manager)
    Start KmotionCNC
    Run initialization program within KmotionCNC (usually everything is still OK at this point)
    Power up Servos
    KmotionCNC error pops up "DLL error... Read Failed - Auto Disconnect"
    System hangs for 30 seconds to a couple minutes
    Windows Blue Screen and/or simply reboots on its own

The difference between this typical process vs. when it destroyed KmotionCNC config files was I powered up the servos before I started KmotionCNC, and it had all of the win10 updates installed.

This is absolutely and definitively a win10 updated related break. Is it directly related to my USB ports and the system itself, probably, but it was first triggered by the specific win 10 update I noted earlier in the thread. With that update, I was able to uninstall, run without problem, reinstall, see the problem, and repeat this issue.

Also a critical note, it is when the snapamp has the servos powered that the event is triggered. I believe you mentioned before that your test did not include a snapamp. If not, you may not have encountered the problem.

I have been able to hit this with a big enough hammer that I can restart enough times and eventually find a window of opportunity for the system to run. When I figure out what sequence is actually allowing this to work, I will also share that info.

If possible, please confirm with your MS pals that your driver has not been compromised. Additionally, if there is any log file or video you would like me to create, please detail it and I will do my best to produce it.

Any chance you plan to port your software over to Linux?

Thanks again.