Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
LOL.....if it's politics you want at least we didn't vote for a bleeding Hollywood cowboy look alike actor to "save" the country as ya'all did back in the 60's......LOL.

As previously said,........yeah, I knew Tormach was a foreign import that got reworked a bit ........I never could understand why people still use dovetail slides when linear rails are by far the best way to move metal.

If Tormach had really seriously re-worked their offering and cut the dovetails off in favour of linear rails......as others have done and are currently doing on other manual mills......that would have rivaled Defeng's offering and maybe put a product in the market that meant something.

With that degree of rework, despite the cost involved, Tormach would be a must have product without having to go on a waiting list and do a direct import.

If Tormach did do one like that, provided they had the means, the current model would die a natural death........tell me why not otherwise......perhaps all the cheepies and bargain hunters would still go for the cheaper model.

Dovetail slides are not the PREFERRED way I might add, no matter how many reams of paper you expend extolling the virtues of hand scraped slides and tapered gib strips........in this day and age.
Ian.
From time to time a buddy of mine hires me to run parts of a CNC'd Bridgeport clone. The dovetails slide so well, I can turn the handwheels with the tip of my pinkie finger pushing against it, yet that table must weigh a couple hundred pounds. Kitamura makes high-end machinery, and they still use box ways - all hand-scraped. If you watch a video of them you've be fascinated as to how good they are at it.