587,699 active members*
3,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: A few days with GRBL

Just curious why someone who has experience with LinuxCNC would use word 'difficult' at all? I've partially working setup of MachineKit on RPI2 with software generated step/dir-pulses and it was like nightmare...

Quote Originally Posted by datac View Post
    bCNC Interface...I could not for the life of me figure out what PORT I was supposed to use to connect with. I thought it might be a simple matter to install bCnc on a windows laptop where the PORT might be more obvious... But a windows install is rather painful, so I did not test it yet. Why do things need to be this difficult ?
    I'm using bCNC under Raspbian on RPI 2/3(also on Windows but that was long time ago), all avaiable ports are detected automaticaly on program startup, so it's simple as selecting it from drop down menu. You should check if your Nano was detected by the system and ttyUSBx devices were created, check dmesg. I've chinesium Nano and it's detected only if I replug it after system startup. I think when my router was running on UNO-clone everything was detected without any needless actions.

bCNC is like only one who has working macro's for M06 tool change commands and [partially] working g-code editor, it's super handy when working on PCB's.

----------------

chilipepper could be OK and useful for headless setups, but support for grbl interface is almost non-existent so if something happens you could count only on yourself.

Re: A few days with GRBL

>>Just curious why someone who has experience with LinuxCNC would use word 'difficult' at all?

I know, right ? I've managed numerous Linux servers for 15 years and my daily use laptop has been a linux mint machine for going on two years now. I should be able to figure this out.....

The port is being established at ttyUSB0, but inserting that or any port for that matter in the bCNC drop down doesn't seem to work. I'll be getting back to it, it's just that during this test event, if things didn't just work quickly/easily, I moved to the next interface option. I have to say it is neat that you can just close one interface and jump right into another.

>> I've partially working setup of MachineKit on RPI2 with software generated step/dir-pulses and it was like nightmare...

MachineKit.... I've been to the web page, but it was not immediately clear as to what I was to do with what was there. When I simply searched for MachineKit images in google, I was at least able to see that the interface might look rather use able, so it is also on my list to come back to.

Again, I am mostly doing this just for the learning experience. Every machine I currently deal with is Flashcut powered, although, I do wonder if down the road I could use something like your Raspberry PI methods as a stand alone, non-pc environment for my personal plasma cutter. It's just a small basic gantry that does not need THC or any other extras..... If it was a stand alone deal, I could just roll it out (it's a portable), plug it in and run it from my phone or something. ANy PC in that environment gets covered in metal dust very quickly.
    Chris L