Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
Is this a single phase spindle?

220V x 24A = 5280 Watts

3800 / 5280 = 72% efficient, so that actually makes sense. Also, higher quality spindles will usually be able to output more power than the rating for a short time, so perhaps its more efficient than that, and the max amp draw you're looking at includes the short term overload. I don't know if this is the case. Single phase is less efficient than three phase I believe.

Some of the cheaper spindles might list the electrical input power used as the spindle rating, so it's not the same thing because obviously the spindle is not 100% efficient.

If the spindle is 3 phase, then 220 x 24 x 1.73 = 9.1 kW which makes no sense at all. Not sure I've ever come across a high quality single phase ATC spindle?

You'd need a single phase output VFD to run it. Something doesn't sound right about this to me. Where exactly did it say 24 Amps?

It doesn't look right to me either but I'm sure I'm missing something.

It states 24a on the spindle label under the 220v section (it has a 380v option too). It's actually 23amp for 400hz s1 and 24amp for 400hz s6. It also lists 21a S1 for 800hz which made be think / guess that the extra amps were because it was constant power spindle or at least that it can deliver full hp from 12000 to 24000 rpm.

it doesn't state if it's one or three phase but I haven't come across many / any 220v 1 phase spindles in any price range.

It definitely is not a cheap device.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
Is this a single phase spindle?

220V x 24A = 5280 Watts

3800 / 5280 = 72% efficient, so that actually makes sense. Also, higher quality spindles will usually be able to output more power than the rating for a short time, so perhaps its more efficient than that, and the max amp draw you're looking at includes the short term overload. I don't know if this is the case. Single phase is less efficient than three phase I believe.

Some of the cheaper spindles might list the electrical input power used as the spindle rating, so it's not the same thing because obviously the spindle is not 100% efficient.

If the spindle is 3 phase, then 220 x 24 x 1.73 = 9.1 kW which makes no sense at all. Not sure I've ever come across a high quality single phase ATC spindle?

You'd need a single phase output VFD to run it. Something doesn't sound right about this to me. Where exactly did it say 24 Amps?

It doesn't look right to me either but I'm sure I'm missing something.

It states 24a on the spindle label under the 220v section (it has a 380v option too). It's actually 23amp for 400hz s1 and 24amp for 400hz s6. It also lists 21a S1 for 800hz which made be think / guess that the extra amps were because it was constant power spindle or at least that it can deliver full hp from 12000 to 24000 rpm.

it doesn't state if it's one or three phase but I haven't come across many / any 220v 1 phase spindles in any price range.

It definitely is not a cheap device.