587,089 active members*
2,782 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Anyone considering the centroid Acorn instead of path pilot?

Hybrid View

Re: Anyone considering the centroid Acorn instead of path pilot?

Just a heads up for anyone considering the Centroid Acorn controller and software. Their introductory pricing ends Jan. 3rd 2018. Here is a link with more information. End to Acorn Introductory Pricing date is January 3rd 2018 - Centroid Community CNC Support Forum.

CJ

Just got on board, bought 2 Acorn units and 2 Pro intercon setups for my mill and lathe. This looks like it may be the cats meow and a way to escape from Mach 3 or 4. The rigid tapping, encoder hookup, and having the on board controller running the g-code instead of the PC is what sold me. The intercom software (kind of like wizards) is pretty nice too but that will take some time to get a handle on it after mach 3. The nice thing is that you should still be able to use Mach 3 wizards as it runs industry standard G-code. Fingers crossed this should be a plus. I also read that Sheet Cam works using the mach2 processor. I don't have them installed yet as I just bought them and should be here after new years but I'm really jazzed as every time I run my stuff on Mach 3 I always get the pucker factor and really it's only failed me a few times. A few times is too many.

I also have bought a Acorn and Pro lathe software. I'm expecting my Acorn to be delivered next week but have yet to convert my 14x40 lathe to CNC. I'll be using DMM servos and the guys at DMM have wiring schematics and are making some videos on the connections. The reviews that i've seen on the Acorn, plus the recommendations from some experienced CNC builders, made my choice to use the Acorn over the numerous other packages an easy one.

I'll post my opinions after i've hooked the Acorn up to the servos, but I'm expecting a positive experience.

-jason