587,202 active members*
2,825 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Yet another DIY enclosure - for PCNC 770

Yet another DIY enclosure - for PCNC 770

Even without flood, after throwing chips all over, I decided an enclosure was needed for my 770. I wrote it up here, with a cut list, if anyone is interested. Total cost: $750.

https://lensprojects.wordpress.com/2...diy-enclosure/

Not quite done, but I'll update pics in the next few days.

Re: Yet another DIY enclosure - for PCNC 770

I made mine using PVC pipe as a frame. I had the pipe laying around, some clear vinyl I had left over from a job and zippered an opening in the front that acts as my access door. I got tired of tracking metal shavings all over the house after I was done with various projects.

I've been running it this way almost since I took delivery of my 770. It's no where near as sturdy looking as your enclosure but, it beats the heck out of having to pick metal shavings out of my socks, my carpet, my bed or anything else that seems to attract those razor sharp little metal shards.

I think I paid about eight or nine bucks for the glue to hold my PVC pipes together.

MetalShavings

To the OP: very nice, looks very professional. Like the sliding doors on the right hand side, good idea.

I think it looks better than the official Tormach version... and at 1/4 the cost! Makes it much easier to see what is going on and lets in a lot more light.

Attachment 309150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TORMACH_770.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	309152

Does the post centerline get in the way? I would think it would make it a pain to move the vise in and out.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post

Does the post centerline get in the way? I would think it would make it a pain to move the vise in and out.
    I thank you for being so polite. If I thought someone had put a post front-center, I probably would have been much less diplomatic ;-)

It's not a post. The two middle panels have 3' lengths of 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8" aluminum angle attached to the inside edge. They act as handles and also stiffen the panel. When the doors are slid shut, it looks like a center post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job, and thanks for the detailed parts listing/project description.

I can stand the cost of 8020 extrusions, but the extra bits cost just drives me nuts. FWIW, anyone with a Tormach and a little bit of aluminum stock can make all the other stuff for a few hours work, which will easily pay back $100/hr. At least, that was the way it worked for me. 8020 extrusion is usually available at closeout prices from them, on ebay. You may have to snipe a bit to get the right stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lens42 View Post
    It's not a post. The two middle panels have 3' lengths of 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8" aluminum angle attached to the inside edge. They act as handles and also stiffen the panel. When the doors are slid shut, it looks like a center post.
    Ahh, that makes sense. One of the photos (with the door open) didn't show that rail, and I was assuming it was just an earlier picture before you had added it.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Thanks for the part list. Very helpful.

I am expecting my new 770 to arrive in a week. I am planning to build an enclosure even before the first cut! I also went for fog and no coolant.

Now that almost two years past, any new advice? Anything you would change?

Also, i picked up a 6" Kurt vise in an auction, I read you said these measurements works fine with the 6" vise?

Quote Originally Posted by lens42 View Post
    Even without flood, after throwing chips all over, I decided an enclosure was needed for my 770. I wrote it up here, with a cut list, if anyone is interested. Total cost: $750.

https://lensprojects.wordpress.com/2...diy-enclosure/

Not quite done, but I'll update pics in the next few days.

I’m not 100% sure about a 6” Kurt fitting with the doors closed. I can check. I keep a 4” vise on there most of the time. I’ve two things I might have done differently. One is that I would have water tested the base for leaks before putting the machine on it. I’m getting oil seeping into the PC area. The other thing is I might have made the front porch a bit wider to accommodate a hard bellows cover over the front Y bellows as shown by Threadexpress on YouTube. Of course doing that would change a lot of the cut dimensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats great. About the 6" Kurt, I was referring to your last tip at the end of your wordpress document. Thanks for the extra hints.

I checked the Kurt D60 and it does fit. The door can close. I tried to find the the folded sheet metal Y bellows cover on the web, but I cant find it. To incorporate something like that you's have have enough room on the porch so that a metal plate that was big enough to cover the front Y bellows with the table is all the way back, would also not hit the door when the table is all the way front. You'd have to add a few inches to the porch, which might not be worth it, especially if you consider your back when hauling a D60 onto the table.

One other annoyance is that I get a lot of rattles from the doors during hard cuts, since they are not snug in the tracks. It'd be nice to get rid of that noise.

Thanks.

8020 sell a rubber gasket for series 10, exactly for that reason. I think its part #2115.

I was going to pre-buy the 8020 items then I think its best to wait till I get the CNC, put it together and then check. It seems the porch is not something you can put any heavy item on.

Bellow cover is great idea. Maybe it can be done with three parts 1/8 acrylic bonded together. As I don't have the machine yet (one more week), i can't visualize the distances but I thought any bellow cover would pass under the porch.

For the porch, I've seen guys take the 8020 and do a 45* angle and bolt it from the porch to the stand. I think thats what I am planning on doing.

I am doing 4 sliding doors, but I made the door frames out of 8020. Going to run them on the track linked below.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PBPL2J

As for the glass (1/8" poly) I think I am going to just grab some Z channel and use that to push the glass tight, then silicone it.

FYI I found 8020 on mcmaster, ended up being cheaper after shipping. And I made my own brackets, bought SS screws and bought their t-slot nuts

Nice work, do like the extra visibility over the tormach !

Cheers,
    Adrian