587,680 active members*
3,575 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc Om Communication Problem

I'm trying to send a file to the controller, cable is OK, set-up on pc is OK.

I put the machine in Tape mode, press program the press input, now in the bottom of the screen i have LSK flashing???

What i'm supposed to do next?

I don't have any manual.....

Thanks for any help,
    Alex
    Alex
    www.ebfcnc.com

I assume at this point you are initiating 'Send' on the PC?
    Can you send the other way from control to PC?
    What program are you using for uploading?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Yes, at this point i press send on the PC side.....

I have tried Cimco, Dncprecision and client terminal.....

Nothing happen on the controller screen....

Note: A friend of mine told me that some menu are missing on my controller screen, i have some touch button at the bottom of the screen but nothing appears in the screen to correspond to the button. Is it normak?

The machine is a Kitamura Mycenter-1 1990.
    Alex
    www.ebfcnc.com

I think this is a cable or parameter issue. First check the type of handshake in your setp of the pc and cnc. Use hardware handshake instead of using XON/XOFF. If you are using DTR (Data Terminal Ready) which have some compability problems I think, you must press send at the PC first and after that Read on the CNC. You will notice if the PC is using the DTR or Software handshake when pressing the send buttom, if it waits for the CNC or not.

Tape mode?? How old is this Om?

If you are trying to store the program in the machine memory, I think you should be using edit mode when you send the program. Edit - program - oprt - read - exec - send at pc.

regards, Oz

1990, it had a tape reader with a selector switch for rs-232 mode in the tape unit.
    Alex
    www.ebfcnc.com

I may be mistaken, but I believe if you are in tape mode you need to press the cycle start button.
    Paul Sevin - Ovation Engineering, Inc.
    http://www.ovationengineering.com

Well, a tech from a machine seller here has come to check the config, he told me that everything seems to be ok, he could find the problem

I have decided to buy the cable+software kit that a guy sell at ebay.

I will try this when it arrive, if this not work, i think i will resale the machine..... It's sitting 3 weeks without running any programs...
    Alex
    www.ebfcnc.com

I have installed a new dnc software, this one ask me to activate the parameter G127.5 in the ladder diagram, does someone could explain what this means?

Thanks,
    Alex
    Alex
    www.ebfcnc.com

That is the DNC enable bit that is set on in the PMC (via an input). This is only in order to drip feed.
    I would make sure for one that you use the 3 wire cable configuration with the hardware handshake jumpered out.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

If your "LSK" symbol is blinking, then the Fanuc 0M is trying to read data from the PC. LSK blinks until the CNC gets the first Line-Feed (LF) from the PC.

When you press Cycle Start on the Fanuc, the Fanuc sends an Xon control code out the serial port. The DNC software should see this Xon and begin sending data. If pressing Cycle Start does not trigger the DNC softare to send, then check these three things:

1) Make sure that your baudrate parameters in the CNC matches the DNC software. Set parameter 552 to "11" for 9600 baud on the CNC, and be sure that the DNC software is also set for 9600 baud.

2) Parameter 002, bit #0 (the bit on the far right) can be either "1" or "0". If it's set to "1", then configure your DNC software for 2 stop-bits. If it's set to "0", use 1 stop-bit.

3) Check your cable again. Several different cable configurations will work, but this is the cable I recommend:

25-pin (Fanuc side) ----- 9 pin (PC side)
    pin 2 ------------------- pin 2
    pin 3 ------------------- pin 3
    pin 5 ------------------- pin 7
    pin 7 ------------------- pin 5
    pins 6, 8, and 20 jumpered together on CNC side.

The DNC software should also be configured to use Xon/Xoff handshaking, at 9600 baud, 1 or 2 stop-bits (to match parameter 002), and 7 data bits, Even parity. The software should also send ISO tape code, which is a subset of ASCII even parity. Your software must also send a Line-Feed character at the end of each block. Some DNC software can be configured to send CR (Carriage Return) or LF (Line Feed), or both as an EOB. The Fanuc needs the Line Feed.

Good luck!

I guys.

I have a similar problem with my miyano milling machine. I tried your solution and it worked, but there´s a new problem.
    I am trying to use the tape mode but the com is too slow. I don´t think the problem is on the pc side because I tried all the settings I could. Looks like the cnc is too slow getting the data. The machine works in " stagger mode". The data doesn´t flow, it goes line by line but at turtle speed. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by serazor View Post
    I guys.

I have a similar problem with my miyano milling machine. I tried your solution and it worked, but there´s a new problem.
    I am trying to use the tape mode but the com is too slow. I don´t think the problem is on the pc side because I tried all the settings I could. Looks like the cnc is too slow getting the data. The machine works in " stagger mode". The data doesn´t flow, it goes line by line but at turtle speed. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Your baud rate is to slow; look at the post right before yours. set param 552 to 11 for 9600 baud. Make sure your DNC prog or whatever your sending your program with also reflects that.

Thanks. I´l give it a try.