588,345 active members*
5,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: PM45 mill upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    Ok...so got a little more done over the weekend. I've been thinking about how i'm going to assemble the saddle and realized that having the longer Y axis rails is really beneficial. I think my plan right now is to mount the blocks and rails to the saddle and then bolt the y rails down to the base and then bolt the table to the x rails. I think this is a lot more realistic than trying to bolt the rails to the bast and table and try to slip them into the blocks on the saddle. So I need enough travel on both axis to be able to access all the screws. That's not a problem on the table as it' got lots of travel already, so this weekend I focused on the Y axis.

Now I know these look a little silly, and by no means to I plan on machining anything on them, but they will make installation a snap.
    fitting the bracket for match drilling...

Rails all trimmed to length and new brackets all mounted up...

I also have been reading the installation manual for these rails and it seems the "right" way to do it is to capture the master rail so it can't shift under load. Now I'm way to lazy to machine the base for a nice reference edge and make a bunch of clamps to pinch it in place...so for the fun of it I took one of the pieces of rail that had been cut off and drilled a 1/8" hole in it. Well wouldn't you know it drills like butter! the rails must be case hardened around the ball carriers. So I've now drilled the master rails for 3 1/8" roll pins. that should keep it in place!
    How much longer did you make y rails. I'm doing same thing. Thinking of making a rack on back of table for tool changer so need some extra room. Everything is looking real good so far.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Re: PM45 mill upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead406 View Post
    How much longer did you make y rails. I'm doing same thing. Thinking of making a rack on back of table for tool changer so need some extra room. Everything is looking real good so far.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Overall they are about 22.5 in long. its about 3.5 inches longer than my original plan. That's a great idea though I could make a simple tool changer at the back end of the table. I'll never machine with the table out that far, but it would be great for a "pick and place" tool changer.