588,515 active members*
4,715 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Lets talk about encoders

it's 4000 in quadrature.

That said, I can go into the software for the drive and edit the encoder resolution. I think. I didn't get a chance to try it out last night.

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    it's 4000 in quadrature.

The term Quadrature encoder refers to the two detected signals being 90° apart.
    I don't know of any controller where you could not scale the encoder count to the machine resolution, it would make the whole system of integration useless.
    The encoder IS 'Quadrature' the way it comes out of the box, it can then be then be multiplied X1, X2 or X4 quadrature in order to set the resolution.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The term Quadrature encoder refers to the two detected signals being 90° apart.
    I don't know of any controller where you could not scale the encoder count to the machine resolution, it would make the whole system of integration useless.
    The encoder IS 'Quadrature' the way it comes out of the box, it can then be then be multiplied X1, X2 or X4 quadrature in order to set the resolution.
    Al.
    Thanks for the info. What exactly do you mean scale? The driver scales the input signal from the encoder.

And if I'm understanding this correctly, you get a quadrature signal from the encoder having 2 sensors 90* out of phase and reading the leading and trailing edge of each encoder "tick"?

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    Thanks for the info. What exactly do you mean scale? The driver scales the input signal from the encoder.

And if I'm understanding this correctly, you get a quadrature signal from the encoder having 2 sensors 90* out of phase and reading the leading and trailing edge of each encoder "tick"?
    Many use the term incorrectly, the origin of the term quadrature for these is the fact that there are two signals generated that are 90° (quadrature) apart, for an optical encoder the signals originate at the sensor output as generally two sine waves, Heidenhain and other manuf often leave the signal as this in order for a control to greatly increase the resolution by using a co-tangent calculation, other simply square them up and this allows the option of using either 1 edge, 2 edges or all 4 to increase the basic resolution/count.
    Scale means you set a number of encoder counts to represent a distance moved.l.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

i see. I learn something new everyday. Thanks for the explanation.