587,941 active members*
3,294 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post New cnc design support

I have designed a new cnc for my shelf and would like feed back before I start the build. all support is welcome.. what do you think. any design changes i should make?

Re: New cnc design support

Carriage design steel or alum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x carriage steel or alum.jpg  

The Y axis gantry beam needs to be a lot thicker in the vertical dimension. All the strength it has is in the horizontal, but the tendency to sag and vibrate is nearly all in the vertical. Make it 4 times as thick, and it will work 4 times better.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I was concerned about the weight. Do you think the nema 23 450 oz steppers will work well? i can only find steel square tube in 2 x 5 .25 thick wall if it needs more i will have to re engineer the gantry. I only have room for two 2.5 in tubes and the ball screw on the axis. do you think that would work well? I don't want to under size that axis.

I like it. Also if you put in a 2 inch long bit, Do you have enough height/travel room, the Z rails will hit the Z axis stepper motor plate as a limit.

new thoughts Make a square beam two pieces 2 x 5 ,24 tubes steel and plate top and bottom with 1/8 " plates

the rails are 500mm. 19" the suppoat bearings are 8" apart I should get 11" travel - 2" bit total 9" I don't know if thats good or not. the new design would put the spindle collet at the bottom of the gantry.

Myself, I'd like to see the X axis bearings futher apart, more rigidity, and less rock.

greggv
    I thought about that too. how much would you suggest?
    the more i move them apart the less traveled i get im also limited to 8" plate alum. do you mean wider gantry or wider z carriage to increase the bearing separation.

I was concerned about the weight. Do you think the nema 23 450 oz steppers will work well?

[It's hard to say without knowing more about your system: how much voltage you're supplying, the inductance of the motors, the pitch of the screws, stuff like that.]

i can only find steel square tube in 2 x 5 .25 thick wall if it needs more i will have to re engineer the gantry.

[That would be a good idea, since it won't work too well as it is. Turning it 90 degrees so the long side is vertical would help. You can put the rails on the front instead of on the top.]

I only have room for two 2.5 in tubes and the ball screw on the axis. do you think that would work well?

[No.]

I don't want to under size that axis.

[Then use one 5" tube instead of two half that size, and run it vertically.]
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I think i have the x and y axis mixed up

------------- this is y i guess along gantry

my old cnc has it backwards x is along the gantry ill have to fix it on this one.

I thought the force would be in the x axis. front to back not sagging glade you caught that

The 'System Kit' Includes:
    (4) TB6600 Single Axis Stepper Motor Drives
    (4) 425 oz.in. Bipolar Stepper Motors with 1/4 Inch shafts on both ends, nema23 mounting holes
    (1) 40V 400W Power Supply
    (1) DB25 Male Breakout Board (BOB)
    (2) 24VDC Fans with finger guards
    (1) DC-DC Converter
    (1) AC Power Switch
    (1) IEC AC Power Inlet connector
    (1) IEC AC Power Cord
    (1) 3' 25 Conductor Parallel Port Cable
    (1) Rubber Grommet

i think pitch is 5mm not sure

1 set RM1605--500mm anti-backlashed ballscrew
    3 set RM1605--1500mm anti-backlashed ballscrew
    4 pcs RM1605 ball nut
    4 pcs DSG16H ball nut housing
    4 set BF12/BK12 with nuts &crips
    4 pcs 6.35*10mm coupling

2 set SBR20--500mm linear rail
    4 set SBR20--1500mm linear rail
    12 pcs SBR20UU

do you mean like this . will this be a strong gantry? I can get different materials i what it to be firm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new large gantry 10.jpg   new large gantry 11.jpg  

Lightbulb Re: New cnc design support

This is the new gantry design. I have moved the x axes to a vertical plate. I also changed the gantry beam to a 3" x 8" 3/16 wall steel tube as per comments by awerby on strength. I have also spaced the berrings further apart for the z axes. This still gives me 11" travel on z axis. I also spaced the y axis bearing 2" further apart.

please advise if these improvements would work well. greggv,SteveWill,awerby

That looks a lot stronger to me. There is a certain amount of back-and-forth moment on the gantry as well, but the vertical moment is worse. And having more distance between the trucks on the Z axis rails helps with the back-and-forth.
    Andrew Werby
    Website