Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
I will be thoroughly documenting my experience with the installation on a CRP plug and play router system. Essentially just bypassing the ESS in the control box. It will remain capable of reverting back to Mach 3 by plugging in the ribbon cables to the ESS and using the old computer. It is a production machine that is getting the Acorn, so I cannot have a lot of down time.
I have done the parts gathering and developed a plan as well as a once over through the manual and watched many videos.
I happen to love watching video tutorials. Especially ones done well that are helpful.
Ray has pointed out some issues and I will know some of how to proceed if they appear because of this thread.
I will most likely post questions to both forums to increase the chance for answers.
I am being driven by the fact that my machines have become fairly low volume production machines for us and that Mach 3 is simply not the best controller for this now.
Errors cause down time. Waste material. Bites the quota. Costs money. Causes stress because it bugs the hell out of me.
I just have to get past Mach 3 and Acorn will get the first shot at getting me there.
Hi Lee,

I think you'll like the Acorn. IMO, I think it's best to connect directly to the screw down terminals on the board. That being said, I replaced a ESS on my lathe with an Acorn and I used the Acorn DB25 connection to plug into a legacy BOB. It's been working really well. Very stable. Doesn't glitch out like my Mach3/Smoothstepper would occasionally do.

Make sure you configure the Windows 10 PC per the instructional video.

The setup wizard is nice and it saves a lot of time but every setting in can be configured from within the CNC12 software via parameters. The back of the manual describes all of them. Many of them take effect instantly and you don't have to restart the software after you make changes. But stick with the wizard at first - it loads defaults into 95% of the parameters and you only need to look at the important ones.

If you've been using Mach3 for a while, the Centroid interface may feel unfamiliar, at first. But, once you get used to the screens I think you'll like it. IMO, the Centroid paradigm is more similar to a standard FANUC type of control than Mach3. I hope this helps.

-Franco