587,830 active members*
2,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > 7 Axis Swiss Mill-Turn (DIY)

Hybrid View

Re: 7 Axis Swiss Mill-Turn (DIY)

I'm not sure the PocketNC comparisons are fair. In video, and even in their demo photos, the PocketNC was clearly incapable of cutting aluminum. The surface finish and sound were just disgusting.

All the samples of the machine shown so far look fine and are certainly believable given its mass.

Quote Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
    I'm not sure the PocketNC comparisons are fair. In video, and even in their demo photos, the PocketNC was clearly incapable of cutting aluminum. The surface finish and sound were just disgusting.

All the samples of the machine shown so far look fine and are certainly believable given its mass.
    I'm not sure that was the comparison hackish was looking at.

I would have said the major setbacks were limited capability compared to price, poor design decisions regarding both quality of components and machine design, and limited understanding of the market it was competing in. Also note that it retails around $4k, yet somehow this is supposed to retail starting around $2k?

Quote Originally Posted by Generic Default
    The initial Kickstarter will have a simple 3 axis variant available for under 2k with rigid tapping standard.
    As far as the PocketNC goes, my understanding is that there are people doing jewelry (lost-wax and -plastic casting) who find it useful and cheaper than its competitors though.

Regardless of who is marketing or making the machine, there is limited value in statements without data and wild claims about price, quality, accuracy, or any other capability.

Quote Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post

You missed the point entirely. It was not at all about comparing PocketNC to this machine. It was about using eye candy instead of solid examples and numbers to sell the product. I try to remain positive and optimistic with this product, since it is obviously the result of someone's 1000+h spent designing and fabricating, as well as no doubt a good chunk of money. My experience has been that using a machine often shows its limits rather than trying to run theoretical simulations. Give us some realistic numbers with photos to show where the typical performance envelope lies. I can imagine that an Al machine could possibly exhibit some interesting resonation.

The Hurco's we use (like all CNC machines) have good covers, two or three together, each one folding under the other, and using a special seal that squeezes out the cooland and swarf. After a while though those covers get dented and warn and regardless of the the state of the seals let in coolant and swarf, and other than replacing them completely you can't do a lot about it. You should have seen the crap gathering around the main Y Ballscrew we found when we took them out one year, inches deep. For my own design I want to focus of the accuracy so am worried about using Leadscrews because they don't get ground, not from what I've seen anyway. I'll just have to design a wiper to clear them and make sure they are guarded.
    I don't know much about kickstarter campaigns, hope that works out for you.

I have included a link to some wipers I just found that guard Ballscrews from contamination. Interesting design.
    https://www.designworldonline.com/co...n-ball-screws/
    Engineer - Artist - Writer