587,840 active members*
3,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > 7 Axis Swiss Mill-Turn (DIY)

Hybrid View

Re: 7 Axis Swiss Mill-Turn (DIY)

Just seen this thread. Very nice looking lathe/mill. Certainly will be useful for certain applications/companies, not really for production companies in my opinion. Probably toolroom or prototyping, R&D workshops would be the best fit probably, or the hobby market, where machining the part at speed isn't an issue.
    It's a lovely looking setup. Does it have a stand? If not then adding a stand would also increase the weight as well as make it more versatile.
    You did an amazing job for 2 grand. Did you use C3 ballscrews?

Does it have a stand? If not then adding a stand would also increase the weight as well as make it more versatile.
    Did you use C3 ballscrews?
    Doesn't come with a stand, it just sits on any big table or desk. A stand won't actually provide any rigidity unless it's a part of the machine structure.As shown in this thread, I just set the machine on top of two interlocking foam pads that I used to use for my 3d printers. Since the SwissMak base is literally just a 4x4 solid metal bar, it doesn't bend more than a few microns over the span of its length. The foam pads prevent vibration transfer to the table underneath.

It doesn't use ballscrews at all, as ballscrews die as soon as any tiny chips or dust or whatever gets in. This machine uses leadscrews and long nuts to get backlash to a few tenths.

Also, in other news, we're launching the Kickstarter April 20th 2018 (two days from now). If it fizzles out from a lack of exposure we'll just launch again. Here's the launch video;

Quote Originally Posted by Generic Default View Post
    Doesn't come with a stand, it just sits on any big table or desk. A stand won't actually provide any rigidity unless it's a part of the machine structure.As shown in this thread, I just set the machine on top of two interlocking foam pads that I used to use for my 3d printers. Since the SwissMak base is literally just a 4x4 solid metal bar, it doesn't bend more than a few microns over the span of its length. The foam pads prevent vibration transfer to the table underneath.

It doesn't use ballscrews at all, as ballscrews die as soon as any tiny chips or dust or whatever gets in. This machine uses leadscrews and long nuts to get backlash to a few tenths.

Also, in other news, we're launching the Kickstarter April 20th 2018 (two days from now). If it fizzles out from a lack of exposure we'll just launch again. Here's the launch video;

I agree about the stand, unless it's connected it wouldn't be much use.
    Leadscrews eh? I did wonder about swarf getting in the Ballscrews people keep posting videos of, perhaps dust from wood has less of an effect than metal. Don't know too much about them, doesn't the same problem apply to an exposed Leadscrew?
    I'm looking at designing my own mill so looking at all the options.
    Engineer - Artist - Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Krispee View Post
    Leadscrews eh? I did wonder about swarf getting in the Ballscrews people keep posting videos of, perhaps dust from wood has less of an effect than metal. Don't know too much about them, doesn't the same problem apply to an exposed Leadscrew?
    I'm looking at designing my own mill so looking at all the options.
    I think lead screws are a little more tolerant of chips getting in them because they're self-wiping. The nut slides along the screw and therefore pushes most large debris off. Ball screws usually have some sort of wiper on them, but it's usually fairly soft and probably wears out eventually, but the balls roll over the screw, so if there's debris that makes it past the wiper, the balls may roll right over it.
    Plus lead screws require more frequent lubrication, and putting oil in the nut will tend to push some of the stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    I think lead screws are a little more tolerant of chips getting in them because they're self-wiping. The nut slides along the screw and therefore pushes most large debris off. Ball screws usually have some sort of wiper on them, but it's usually fairly soft and probably wears out eventually, but the balls roll over the screw, so if there's debris that makes it past the wiper, the balls may roll right over it.
    Plus lead screws require more frequent lubrication, and putting oil in the nut will tend to push some of the stuff out.
    Ah right, I'm guessing that they are more heavily protected on the larger CNC machines, plus there are numerous guards etc. From what I've been reading Ballscrews tend to be more accurate, certainly they are the only ones used in general CNC machines. Anyway, easy enough to create something that can protect the screw from debris yourself isn't it?
    Engineer - Artist - Writer