588,239 active members*
4,434 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by buddym View Post
    I finished my BigBear machine a week ago, it was a pretty easy build. It was under $700, using all new materials, steppers, controller,etc. It works very well so far. I have a Dremel on it now, the cut show in the pic was made with a small 1/8" v-bit on the Dremel. I have a trim router I am mounting now....more power! The Dremel sounds like it's going to explode!

I had posted the same question about which machine to build as a first machine and I got no replies. I just thought the plastic might be easier to deal with on my first machine. I am going to be cutting wood and plastic with my machine, so it seems to be a good start.

I am using Mach3 to drive it so far.... easy to setup with my controller/motor kit from StepperWorld.
    Sorry you did not get any replies, Myself i just did not see the post.

But the machine looks nice.

What Plastic material did you use?

joe

I used HDPE for the frame and Delrin for the bearings (slides) and nuts. No prob on the replies, there are so many requests for comments by first builders, they just fly by. ANYONE building this machine, please use a drill press vise to hold the parts when drilling the larger holes in the plastic!!! The bit grabs the plastic just before exit on the backside and it will cut you badly! (too embarrassed to post a photo of my injury)

It came out better than I expected, and it works much better than anticipated. Appearence is a little sloppy since I did not cut the guide rods to fit the machine, except on the Z axis. This way if I ever want to I can stretch the X and Y without buying new rods.

Mods I have made are to add fans to the steppers and resistors. I plan to remove the motors and attach heatsinks between the frame and motors.

The BigBear plans were very straight forward, and you don't need a CAD program (or degree) to read them.

My steppers and controller came from StepperWorld. Again, very easy to setup, worked on the first try.

Like so many have said here, building the machine turns out to be the easy part. Learning to use CAD and how it applies to your machine is the harder part, or at least it is for me.