587,591 active members*
3,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach 1100M Info Possible Series 4!

Hybrid View

Re: Tormach 1100M Info Possible Series 4!

And don’t forget to add in a phase converter if you don’t have 3 phase hookup - 2k to 5k additional depending upon which brand you go with.

Quote Originally Posted by motoeng View Post
    And don’t forget to add in a phase converter if you don’t have 3 phase hookup - 2k to 5k additional depending upon which brand you go with.
    Why would you need a phase converter? Don't the Tormach spindle motors all run from a VFD that accepts 1ph in - 3ph out?

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    Why would you need a phase converter? Don't the Tormach spindle motors all run from a VFD that accepts 1ph in - 3ph out?
    I was referring to the 3 phase HAAS. Tormachs work with standard 110/220 outlets.

My main point is that a comparably tooled up minimill will cost somewhere in the range of $35K-$40K. So not quite as close to Tormach pricing as the other poster suggested.

I was referring to the 3 phase HAAS. Tormachs work with standard 110/220 outlets.

My main point is that a comparably tooled up minimill will cost somewhere in the range of $35K-$40K. So not quite as close to Tormach pricing as the other poster suggested.
    You could run a Haas machine with 220 1ph power through a VFD (which is also what Tormach does). You might struggle with their 20hp motors but their 7.5hp motors can easily work on 1ph. I run a 3ph 7.5hp spindle from a 240v 1 ph outlet here. You just need to install a large enough breaker. A 50a breaker covers it easily and costs $10. My VFD draws 34a 1ph to output 20a 3ph.

I see what you are saying on the price difference but I still think that, in the context of a money-making production CNC machine that is paid off monthly, the difference is small. The difference would matter for a hobby level user paying cash up-front but, IMO, neither machine is priced for non-money making purposes.

It is worth reiterating that we aren't talking about a comparably tooled up machine when we compare a Haas mini mill to a Tormach 1100. The Haas offers a meaningfully superior capability in speed, work envelope, stiffness / accuracy - all things that increase the earnings potential and matter for a production machine. That is how a smart business man (or woman) would look at it. How much can I make vs how much does it cost per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    You could run a Haas machine with 220 1ph power through a VFD (which is also what Tormach does). You might struggle with their 20hp motors but their 7.5hp motors can easily work on 1ph. I run a 3ph 7.5hp spindle from a 240v 1 ph outlet here. You just need to install a large enough breaker. A 50a breaker covers it easily and costs $10. My VFD draws 34a 1ph to output 20a 3ph.

I see what you are saying on the price difference but I still think that, in the context of a money-making production CNC machine that is paid off monthly, the difference is small. The difference would matter for a hobby level user paying cash up-front but, IMO, neither machine is priced for non-money making purposes.

It is worth reiterating that we aren't talking about a comparably tooled up machine when we compare a Haas mini mill to a Tormach 1100. The Haas offers a meaningfully superior capability in speed, work envelope, stiffness / accuracy - all things that increase the earnings potential and matter for a production machine. That is how a smart business man (or woman) would look at it. How much can I make vs how much does it cost per month.
    My Haas use 240V single phase

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Not sure why that myth persists. They run on single phase.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey001 View Post
    My Haas use 240V single phase
    Maybe because Haas told me just a few years ago they would not warrantee the machine if run on a phase converter. I guess it could have been sales people that didn't want to sell or support a machine in a residential setting. They were not helpful and turned me off to purchasing their product real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Maybe because Haas told me just a few years ago they would not warrantee the machine if run on a phase converter. I guess it could have been sales people that didn't want to sell or support a machine in a residential setting. They were not helpful and turned me off to purchasing their product real fast.
    Check out the Haas website. They make their mini ills and tm-1 machines in single phase

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    As others here have said, there is no need for a phase converter with a machine that runs through a VFD. So it's a non-issue. Most of us here run 3 phase spindles from 1ph outlets. You just need the right size VFD.

I run a 7.5hp 3ph spindle through a VFD from a residential 1ph 50a 240v outlet.

If I was prepared to invest more cash in buying a larger main breaker, some 125a individual breakers with an industrial receptacle, I could power a far larger 3ph motor from a 1ph outlet.

Not sure why that myth persists. They run on single phase.