587,771 active members*
3,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand Club House > Importing A Chinese Machine......Roger Webb/Pacific Tooling - CNC Router

Hybrid View

Re: Importing A Chinese Machine......Roger Webb/Pacific Tooling - CNC Router

Hi everyone.
    Well, the saga (regarding the electrical safety of my machine at least) is finally over. As you will know from the earlier comments in this thread, I was deeply concerned about the electrical safety of my machine when I noticed that there was no mains earth. Roger Webb had told me that no Australian electrical certification was required because the machine wasn't made in Australia. Because of his attitude, I had placed this matter in the hands of Energy Safe Victoria and they conducted an investigation on my behalf. They told me that Roger Webb had absolutely denied owning any part of Pacific Tooling or it's other trading names. This was in direct conflict with has assurance to me that he and his wife owned Pacific Tooling. I have this very clearly stated in an email from him so he is now self condemned as a liar on top of all his other shifty practices. He said, therefore, to Energy Safe that he was simply a facilitator to the sale between me and Pacific Tooling and had no responsibility for the safety of the machine.

Anyway, whilst I did not have access to Energy Safe's correspondence, they must have given the Webbs an ultimatum because they came back to me with the news that they had had a conversation with the Webb's lawyers and shortly after that I received a call from Maria Webb saying the she was very sorry that I had had a problem with the electrical safety of the machine and that she was very keen to have the problem resolved as soon as possible. Unlike previous conversations with Maria, this time she was as sweet as pie. She said that I should obtain a quote from an electrician to make the router electrically safe and that, once she received a copy of the quote, she would promptly transfer the amount of the quote to my account.

The electrician I chose happened to have some experience in this field and he found a number of issues.
    Firstly, of course, there was the lack of mains earth. He also noted the following:

Single insulated 240V cable was penetrating through metal conductive parts without gromets or wear protections.
    Single insulated 240v cables and extra low voltage cables running within the same ducting enclosure are not meeting the requirement of Electrical separation for single insulated 240V cables.
    Single insulated 240v cables are not clipped securely as per AS/NZS3000 5.4.4.(c)

The control box containing 240V cabling had unsealed openings adjacent to a water pump.

As of now, I have received the quoted amount from Maria Webb and this aspect of my dealings with the Webbs (and probably all other aspects) is now closed.

Energy Safe have told me that they are seeking a full list of of machinery sold by Roger and Maria Webb along with the names of their customers. They have also told me that, where necessary, other regulators in other jurisdictions will be notified.

Maria Webb also told me that they had had 'many problems with Pacific Tooling. They never owned any part of Pacific Tooling. They have now stopped selling anything from Pacific Tooling.'
    Roger has not contacted me at all and obviously doesn't think an apology is due. He has left his wife to do the unpleasant stuff. I think this reflects the type of man he is.

Thank you all for following this saga. I hope that, although the Webbs have stopped trading in Chinese machines, anyone who reads this will learn some valuable lessons from my experiences.

Bye for now!

Re: Importing A Chinese Machine......Roger Webb/Pacific Tooling - CNC Router

Same fella