587,686 active members*
3,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Z needs to be negative to cut from zero which is top of part. How to configure?

Hybrid View

Re: Z needs to be negative to cut from zero which is top of part. How to configure?

Thank you Svenakela. In fact as you wrote your reply I was doing just what you suggested and it is working though I have not run the file yet but will in about 10 min.

My mistake is that I was moving the construction 'CPlane elevation' expecting it to change the Z Origin. When in fact it does not. I then played with Setpt with combinations of CPlane. I believe there must be a way to change the Z orgin with CPlane and another command but I do not know what it is and I am not a Rhino guru. I was hesitant to move the model as it is quite complex and things left alone are sometimes better left that way but in the end did exactly that.

If I could make a suggestion to Madcam it would be to follow along the lines of Vectric and RhinoCam in setting the work zero. It would be much more intuitive and most importantly does not require moving the model below the construction plane which I believe for most people is at 0,0,0 and things are built on top of it. That's my two cents worth.

Thank you again for looking into this problem for me.

Re: Z needs to be negative to cut from zero which is top of part. How to configure?

Quote Originally Posted by aperio View Post
    Thank you Svenakela. In fact as you wrote your reply I was doing just what you suggested and it is working though I have not run the file yet but will in about 10 min.

My mistake is that I was moving the construction 'CPlane elevation' expecting it to change the Z Origin. When in fact it does not. I then played with Setpt with combinations of CPlane. I believe there must be a way to change the Z orgin with CPlane and another command but I do not know what it is and I am not a Rhino guru. I was hesitant to move the model as it is quite complex and things left alone are sometimes better left that way but in the end did exactly that.

If I could make a suggestion to Madcam it would be to follow along the lines of Vectric and RhinoCam in setting the work zero. It would be much more intuitive and most importantly does not require moving the model below the construction plane which I believe for most people is at 0,0,0 and things are built on top of it. That's my two cents worth.

Thank you again for looking into this problem for me.

To me Origo is the natural way of the working with the model. Same behavior in all the expensive licenses I've owned or used over the years (MasterCAM, SolidEdge, Rhino/MadCam...).
    On the other hand, I very rarely have a negative toolpath. My machines are calibrated with zero on the table.