587,772 active members*
3,235 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 24 67891018
    ericks Guest

Re: CNC router build

I will finally decide on the model of Leadshine stepper drivers this week and order them. Also continue the machining of the extrusion.....Hopefully the main frame will be completed in a couple of weeks

ericks Guest

Update......other stuff got in the way of my build. I decided to rather build a work bench as i was struggling having to do stuff on the floor. Soon as i am finished with the bench i'll continue the machining of the extrusions

ericks Guest

A bit of progress....four Leadshine drives and four Nema 34 motors ordered. I have already drilled and tapped the control panel back plate to mount these drives. Hopefully i will get the same good service from these drives as i have with my current Leadshine drives. My 6040 has the original low cost stepper motors, they have been faultless for seven years so i decided to order similar ones for this build

ericks Guest

Received the stepper motors Nema34/4.5Nm.....first impressions is they look good. Hopefully the drives will arrive this week so i can test run them from my new control panel.

ericks Guest

Update.....the stepper drives are bigger than what i thought Had to shorten a cable trunking to make them fit. Received more cable for the wiring and a few other bits. Only part outstanding is the VFD.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails panel13.jpg  

ericks Guest

Almost ready to test run the steppers...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails panel16.jpg  

ericks Guest

Success....all the motors are turning as required through Mach3.....smooth and strong. Next job is to make up a little 24 - 12V converter, reason is that the breakout board regulator is getting a little warm on 24V although the input is rated for 12-24V. Then a bit of other wiring to be done then finally machining and assembly of the extrusions

OK that's enough with the happy snaps.
    My wife is saying that I should make my layout as neat as yours.

Well done mate It is looking a real treat!!

Paul
    (in Melb)

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paul3112 View Post
    OK that's enough with the happy snaps.
    My wife is saying that I should make my layout as neat as yours.

Well done mate It is looking a real treat!!

Paul
    (in Melb)
    Thanks.....i don't get much time to work on the build. Hopefully i can complete the machine before the end of the year. It still has to pass the "noise" test. You welcome to copy my design if you wish, must admit its a bit over designed and expensive

Attachment 400446

How big your power supply ? I use the same main component as yours, BOB stv2, driver DQ860MA. But you have some more components that you use for safety ? What are they ?

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post

How big your power supply ? I use the same main component as yours, BOB stv2, driver DQ860MA. But you have some more components that you use for safety ? What are they ?
    Hi....it's a Meanwell psu, think it is 48V/21A...The motor drivers are Leadshine DM860. I added a plc, not required

ericks Guest

How far is your build?

I have done with my cnc router, DQ860MA and Leadshine NEMA 34 4.5NM. You use motor drivers Leadshine DM860 and NEMA 34 4.5NM with PSU 48V, is that PSU not too small ?

ericks Guest

Are you referring to the current or the voltage being too small?

ericks Guest

Yesterday i ordered a VFD for my machine. Originally i planned on buying another Delta drive but after one failed on me recently i decided to go for something else. Problem was with the limited space i left for the drive cause the Delta drives are very compact, luckily i found an Automation Direct drive that looks okay, good price and it's sold here in Australia. Will give it a good test and report back in case anyone else might be interested.

Are you referring to the current or the voltage being too small?
    The voltage is not big enough, it cause less torque or speed ... for that motor. I used 60V 20 amps PSU, good speed or torque...

ericks Guest

You are most likely correct....i will see how the current one goes when the machine is operational. Thanks for the info

If I want to make a new router with the same drivers and motors, I will use 70VDC 20Amps PSU.

ericks Guest

If I want to make a new router with the same drivers and motors, I will use 70VDC 20Amps PSU.
    I remember reading that 68V is the typical voltage that Leadshine recommends for these drives....so your 70V sounds great. I think what happened was when i was looking for a single psu that could give me 20A the only one i could find from Meanwell was 48V

ericks Guest

I already made a lot of mistakes with this build.....next time i will do better planning before i start..........

Page 8 of 24 67891018