587,770 active members*
3,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > PCB milling > Which bits to use for PCB milling?

Threaded View

Re: Which bits to use for PCB milling?

Hi all,

So I have been drawing for some hours now on a design that came to inspire me: I reckon it is sort of a bed mill although - well, one never knows ... I don't know the exact criteria for a bed mill. But I hope I can ask you to take a look and gently comment ;-)

I have attached a couple of pictures of the mill so that it can be seen from two angles. A couple of comments:

* It is a sketch as I prefer to clarify the basic design before going into details.
    * The usable movement is x,y,z: 250 x 200 x 120 mms. And then if larger items are to be worked on then they must be moved.
    * The dark grey plates are made of 40mm steel. The light grey rectangular rods are made from 50x30 mm aluminum.
    * Except for the vertical distance of the cars on the Z-axis the spacing between the cars (maximum distance between the distant edges of the cars) is either 200 or 250 mms. The vertical spacing between the z-axis cars is 180 mms. All rails are HSR15 rails & cars.
    * The brownish cube are epoxy granite as described in this post:

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/epoxy...ml#post1996146

The framework at the back of the mill is to be filled with this epoxy granite as well.

* I don't yet know how much work is involved in making such a mill nor what the cost is so there are at least these two reservations in terms of actually making it.

That said my guess is that it can be really rigid, and also well damped due to the epoxy granite fillings.

Can I ask you what you think about this? One thought I have had myself is if the HSR15 rails+bearings will survive such a placement in the long term if they are not covered ... ?

Cheers & thanks,

Jesper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill_v4.jpg