588,227 active members*
4,875 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > DIY CNC Mill - Playing around with the thought

Hybrid View

Re: DIY CNC Mill - Playing around with the thought

With access to equipment you have your project is certainly possible.
    I used multiple tube (10mm wall) boxed & welded together. 25mm flat bar for rail mounts. Head was multiple laser cut 10mm plate. Whole lot internally braced & welded as well, has been post weld heat treated & will be filled with epoxy when done.
    Using 30mm linear rail with 25mm C3 double nut ballscrew. Some of my biggest expense was machining that had to be sent out as my knee mill too small.
    Regards,
    Michael
    Attachment 403018Attachment 403020Attachment 403022Attachment 403024Attachment 403026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0272.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	403028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0395.JPG 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	403030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	403032

Excellent post.
    Very much in line with my experiences and all those who mill steel.

Quote Originally Posted by mick41zxr View Post

I used multiple tube (10mm wall) boxed & welded together. 25mm flat bar for rail mounts. Head was multiple laser cut 10mm plate. Whole lot internally braced & welded as well, has been post weld heat treated & will be filled with epoxy when done.
    Using 30mm linear rail with 25mm C3 double nut ballscrew. Some of my biggest expense was machining that had to be sent out as my knee mill too small.
    Regards,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mick41zxr View Post
    Regards,
    Michael
    Very, very nice build! I'm in luck that I have the machinery that I have available - might be able to save quite a lot of bucks that way.

I was looking through HIWINs products yesterday, and I came across some linear guides that I haven't considered before.

The plan is to mount the X-axis onto the back wall of the machine with two QRW45CC linear guides, and one 32mm double-nut ballscrew. Then mount the Z-axis onto the slider plate of the X-axis, with the Y-axis mounted to the Z-axis (if that made any sense). I could throw up a quick sketch in paint or something when I get back home tonight, as I don't have my CAD-computer at the moment.

According to HIWIN, the QR series offers super-high rigidity, and quiet operation - combined with long running life. Sounds like exactly what I need - or do you think this is a bit overkill?

Hanermo says that I would be just fine with 400w servos, what is your thought on this? I'm starting to realize that I have to compromise with the some of the electrical components to be able to run this mill on 220V single phase. I found some 750W servos for quite a bit cheaper than the ones I posted in the OP.

https://motioncontrolsystems.hiwin.c...eries-assembly

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4NM-750W-...4AAOSwjh5bFjdD

Quote Originally Posted by DuxEtCapital View Post
    Very, very nice build! I'm in luck that I have the machinery that I have available - might be able to save quite a lot of bucks that way.

I was looking through HIWINs products yesterday, and I came across some linear guides that I haven't considered before.

The plan is to mount the X-axis onto the back wall of the machine with two QRW45CC linear guides, and one 32mm double-nut ballscrew. Then mount the Z-axis onto the slider plate of the X-axis, with the Y-axis mounted to the Z-axis (if that made any sense). I could throw up a quick sketch in paint or something when I get back home tonight, as I don't have my CAD-computer at the moment.

According to HIWIN, the QR series offers super-high rigidity, and quiet operation - combined with long running life. Sounds like exactly what I need - or do you think this is a bit overkill?

Hanermo says that I would be just fine with 400w servos, what is your thought on this? I'm starting to realize that I have to compromise with the some of the electrical components to be able to run this mill on 220V single phase. I found some 750W servos for quite a bit cheaper than the ones I posted in the OP.

https://motioncontrolsystems.hiwin.c...eries-assembly

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4NM-750W-...4AAOSwjh5bFjdD
    Here's a link to a store that bought all the remaining stock of HiWin America and sells their stuff at great prices.

http://www.automation-overstock.com