Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
No worries, I worked with a guy that used to say “can’t see it from my house”. I’ve seen some pretty unbelievable things in my life with construction where you say to your self “how in the world did that pass inspection”. .

I’m sure if you looked closer at your house you would see so many gaps that you could stick a quarter in that you would need a loan to fill them all. That’s why the finish carpenters make a lot more money.

I know exactly what you mean. When I remodeled my kitchen a couple of years ago, I found that the walls were way out of plumb. I hadn't intended to tear out all of the sheetrock, but the out-of-plumb condition sealed the deal. When I put up new rock, I used drywall shims and had to cut a kerf and sister on a couple of the 2 x 4s to get the wall where they should be. Some of it has to do with the relatively poor framing materials used in the last several years, but when I checked form plumb from plate to plate, it was clear that the walls weren't framed plumb. Anyway, it was worth the effort. The new wall cabinets went up like a dream, without any additional shimming. Also, my glass subway tile backsplash went on without even a hint of lipping. Did I mention that I HATE everything about drywall????

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was. My house was built as a full custom job and way overbuilt throughout. I expected better.

Gary