Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
It seems that there are very few skyfire owners .. and many anecdotes about issues with their machines.

It seems there are very few syil or seig cnc owners, and credible readings from a dti indicate the spindle/rigidity is, in a word, crap.

Both (or 3) problems stem from the same basic issue.
Trying to do a very cheap machine, very light, means the machine will be 90% performance limited.
So one pays 100% for a small machine and only gets 10% of performance from it.

The section sizes for everything in seig, syil, skyfire, should be at least double, and the spindle column likewise, with thicker walls.
These things are half the price or less than a HAAS mini mill or similar. They also take up a lot less floor space, particularly in skyfires case. That was the reason behind my purchase because I literally couldn’t fit anything bigger in (there is 50mm space at each side of it).

FWIW mechanically it’s actually pretty sound and does a decent job in aluminium and mild steel. It can do everything I need it to. You get a test certificate and actually, I tested it all and it was all bang on to spec which was much better than Tormach will promise. Nothing you could think of worse than 0.02mm out and spindle taper runout wouldn’t even register on a micron indicator.

Electrically it’s a different story. Anyone looking to buy would be better off buying the hardware and fitting your own controller etc to it, the adtech 4650 is an absolute car crash (though I think they’ve changed the standard offering to the 9960 which looks and sounds to be much better). The home and limit switches are useless and let water in... so many problems with electrics and within the adtech itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk