587,782 active members*
2,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Large Epoxy granite VMC building

Quote Originally Posted by vakeiros View Post
    in fact the very first thing I'm making is the Y way cover that stands between the column and Y carriage because I really need to make sure it works otherwise I might have to change the design some more.... I only have 125mm space there to cover the whole 300mm travel... so that will be the very first parts I'm making in this build XD

staring at a way cover ahahah sounds funny... someone ask you: hey man where did you started making the machine?? you: Y way covers LOL anyway it's a critical part because if it wont fit and you already have the base done will be a PAIN!!!
    That is an odd place to start, but nothing wrong with satisfying your own requirements. Your right that really isn't much space. I would like stainless steel telescopic way covers as well for mine. I see you can purchase some from AliExpress and give them your dimensions if it makes it any easier.

Alternatively, one of the things you can do is just use the heat resistant fabric way covers. They certainly do not look as nice, nor have the impact resistance as metal ones, but they surely serve the purpose.

Make sure you take into consideration, electrical wiring, air hoses, and oil lines, as well as limit switches and encoders. You will definitely want to be sure that you can cram all of those in the epoxy castings you want to build.

I'm wondering if your spindle mount will be rigid enough in your design. I haven't seen too much VMC spindles bolted to the front of the Z axis head like yours. Most that I see has the spindle in the casting itself so that the axial forces are shared in the casting. It seems like hanging the spindle off the front of the casting can create a fulcrum causing deflection. Also that spindle mount I'm assuming would be steel. With the heat of your spindle, the steel can probably suffer from thermal expansion also causing deflection and alignment issues. Maybe you can epoxy granite around the steel locking the spindle mount into one casting, with the ability to easily replace spindles by simply unscrewing the bolts on the bottom.

Perhaps someone else can chime in for a better opinion.

Re: Large Epoxy granite VMC building

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedIngen View Post
    That is an odd place to start, but nothing wrong with satisfying your own requirements. Your right that really isn't much space. I would like stainless steel telescopic way covers as well for mine. I see you can purchase some from AliExpress and give them your dimensions if it makes it any easier.

Alternatively, one of the things you can do is just use the heat resistant fabric way covers. They certainly do not look as nice, nor have the impact resistance as metal ones, but they surely serve the purpose.

Make sure you take into consideration, electrical wiring, air hoses, and oil lines, as well as limit switches and encoders. You will definitely want to be sure that you can cram all of those in the epoxy castings you want to build.

I'm wondering if your spindle mount will be rigid enough in your design. I haven't seen too much VMC spindles bolted to the front of the Z axis head like yours. Most that I see has the spindle in the casting itself so that the axial forces are shared in the casting. It seems like hanging the spindle off the front of the casting can create a fulcrum causing deflection. Also that spindle mount I'm assuming would be steel. With the heat of your spindle, the steel can probably suffer from thermal expansion also causing deflection and alignment issues. Maybe you can epoxy granite around the steel locking the spindle mount into one casting, with the ability to easily replace spindles by simply unscrewing the bolts on the bottom.

Perhaps someone else can chime in for a better opinion.
    about the ways I've a friend that has a sheet processing factory so I think he will make these to me easily.

yes I've to make sure I design all the oilling system, electric wire, air system and so on...

about the head it's still under development, I'm still deciding what hardware to get and I won't be sure until I actually get it, so the final design on the head won't be done until I've the actual spindle. not really concerned about the head since it won't inferfere with anything else so I can actually redesign the whole head the only requirement is the distance from the column to the center of the spindle so the spindle can reach the whole table.
    but yes casting the head it's an actually option.